Teaching with Moodle

Any Moodlers using Plickers and/or Kahoots! in class?

Frankie's the name, Moodle's my game!
Any Moodlers using Plickers and/or Kahoots! in class?
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Hi All

What's your experience with Plickers like? What's your experience with Kahoots! like? Do these formative assessment tools complement your Moodle class usage? Do share, pray tell.

Regards
Frankie Kam 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Henriette Matthews
Re: Any Moodlers using Plickers and/or Kahoots! in class?

I used Kahoots!  for the first time this week with my Anatomy & Physiology face-to-face class. It was easy to set up and the students loved the activity. It was quite independent from Moodle, though, so I guess I'm not really answering your question. Keen to hear of others' experiences.

Peacock
Group Testers

I use Web apps and Mobile apps during my eLearning training.

Last week, I used Polleverywhere, sprial.ac during my workshop on "eLearning, eAssessment, EdTech" at Dravidian University, AP, India. I had demonstrated Moodle Assessment modules and the following applications.

1. Polleverywhere for diagnostic assessment
  2. Quickfire, spiral.ac for formative assessment

I observed my trainees (faculty) enjoyed submitting their answers on their mobiles. These apps help faculty engage students in "assessment for learning" without logging in to Moodle.

Picture of Matthias Giger
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I use Kahoot from time to time in my classes. I also tried out the Moodle plugin active quiz which offers a somewhat similar functionality. And then I asked my students what they liked most.

Now, my students know that I like Moodle quite a lot, nevertheless their verdict was very clear, everybody preferred Kahoot.

Personally, I can understand my students. Kahoot is much more engaging than the active quiz.

However, the big drawback of Kahoot is that you can't import questions. So you have to do every question by hand.

So from a teacher's perspective (workload, data, ...) Moodle is far superior. From a learner's perspective, Kahoot is much more fun.

math

Agreed! I usually describe Active Quiz something like "Kahoots, without the color and sounds - but with your Moodle question banks!"