Sending grades from external LMS to Moodle

Sending grades from external LMS to Moodle

by Zean Qin -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, 

We want to know what is the best way to send grades from an external LMS to Moodle. 

We are an IT company that builds a training platform for hospitals. As well as using the LMS provided by us, one of our clients also has Moodle at their organisation and they want their training results in our LMS to be sent to their Moodle system automatically. 

Ideally we want to do it via some public (RESTful) APIs. But the Gradebook API (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Gradebook_API) seems to be only accessible by internal modules/plugins. I couldn't seem to find any existing plugins (https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=8) that can provide a public API. 

Our LMS is built in C# using the .NET framework. And I wasn't able to find any libraries that we can directly work with. 

What do you see as the easiest option for us? 

Kind Regards,

Zean

In reply to Zean Qin

Re: Sending grades from external LMS to Moodle

by Zean Qin -

UPDATE : In the list of web services API functions, I can see core_grade_get_grades and core_grade_update_grades can be useful. But there aren't seem to be any functions that allows the creation and deletion of grade items. 

In reply to Zean Qin

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

you will probably want to create offline assignments in the course and then assign the grades to those. I can't remember if there's a create assignment web service though.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Zean Qin -

Hmm, we don't actually have control over their Moodle installation. We currently just save the grade info to a CSV file and the client will upload them to their Moodle system. The goal is to automate this process. 

Is there any other way you guys can see?