Switch role to student and Log in as "Student X" in ver 3.2 -No way (back)

Switch role to student and Log in as "Student X" in ver 3.2 -No way (back)

by Antti Peltonen -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

Switch Role to e.g. student ('s view) is a useful function but in 3.2 it has changed and not working as it should.

If your role is the Manager and the Teacher. (- You are building and teaching the course, as we usually do.)
You can not anymore switch between roles, BUT you can log in as enrolled student...

Participants -> Student X -> Log in as - Continue

BUT you can not return back to your normal role. The right top corner menu just say: Mr.Y logged as Student X.  -Log Out is the only way to get back to business.

I hope there will be some kind of update for that. I do not want to mess manually with role rights etc. 

-Antti-

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Antti Peltonen

Re: Switch role to student and Log in as "Student X" in ver 3.2 -No way (back)

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Antti,

When you switch roles, you should find a 'Return to my normal role' option in the user menu.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Antti Peltonen -

Hi,

Thanks for replys. The top-right corner drop down menu was like You said before update 3.2. Now the text 'Return to my normal role' is missing. (As well other role switching things.)

Regards,

-Antti-

Attachment Moodle_dropmenu.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Helen, I think, is talking about changing roles. You, I think, are talking about 'Log in as' some other user. 

You're right. It's annoying, but it was identified as a substantial security hole being able to return to the admin user. You have to log out and back in again.

In reply to Antti Peltonen

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I seem to recall that there was some (good) logic about not allowing a teacher or manager, who "Logs in as student" to have to re-login as manager or teacher.

If you switch your role to student, then you can switch back to your other role (as Helen mentions.)  But when you "log in as (student)", you must re-log in as yourself.

I find myself doing both.  Sometimes I really want to see my moodle as a particular student sees it.

I think way back in the days of Moodle 1.x one was able to log in as a student and then switch back to themselves. Maybe.