Moodle 3.2: Gradebook not visible in course administration block?

Moodle 3.2: Gradebook not visible in course administration block?

by Marc Couture -
Number of replies: 15

Just upgraded a server to the latest 3.2 release (from 3.1) and noticed that the Gradebook is no longer visible under the course administration block.  It is however visible under the Navigation block.  I cannot find a setting to bring it back to where it was.

What am I missing?  Thanks.

In reply to Marc Couture

Re: Moodle 3.2: Gradebook not visible in course administration block?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Oh that's interesting - I presume you mean 3.2 using an older theme such as Clean? In Boost the nav drawer contains the link to grades. I changed our sandbox site to Clean and indeed I saw the same links as in the nav drawer are now in the navigation block except the gradebook set up which is in the admin block (looking in a course) You can still get to the grader report from the admin block by clicking the View tab from the gradebook set up link, but I can only assume this is a change to both blocks because of the changes in the nav drawer with the Boost theme.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ed Main -

Interesting indeed . . . just had a teacher email about the same question! The course in question was using the latest version of the Pioneer (v1.4.6 - 2016092000  for Moodle 3.1) theme. As you pointed out, this can still be accessed with an extra click or so from the gradebook setup link . . . an interesting alteration!

In reply to Marc Couture

by Neil Stapleton -

Did you get anywhere with this Marc? Mary and Ed seem to be indicating it might be a 'feature' rather than a bug (sorry guys if I'm mis-reading your comments).However in the 3.2 moodle doc for 'Administration block' (https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Administration_block) it clearly shows the 'Grades' appearing in the list above 'Gradebook setup'... so looks like a bug/oversight in the code of 3.2 to me.

We are getting desparate for a fix to this, becuase it's confusing users and at presnet in our custom theme (based on Clean) there is no way fro Student to get to 'Grades'.

We have the Navigation block turned off, and I really don't want to have to reinstate it or take the plunge into Boost just yet.

Has anyone opened a tracker for this?

Any help appriciated smile

In reply to Neil Stapleton

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

We agree this seems pretty... odd? Annoying?

I assume it was because they didn't want the link to Grades to show in the Edit (gear) menu in Boost, but it is pretty annoying for clean based themes, and just comes across as an unnecessary change.

In reply to Eric Merrill

by Neil Stapleton -

Thanks Eric, I agree and I think it shows a slight lack of thought to those who may wish to upgrade to gain new features while retaining a current theme, prior to making the jump to Boost, which looks great but will take a while for us to tweak and might be a bit to revolutionary for our users right now.

At the very least it would be nice to have an option to have it on or off.

What I'm looking for short term is a way to hack the code as a temporary work around, and ideas?

In reply to Marc Couture

by Neil Stapleton -

I have created a tracker for this issue, would you all be kind enough to vote for it please.  Thank Guys.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-57581

by Sali Kaceli -

We are having the same issue and upgraded yesterday. We are using the Clean theme and cannot make the transition to Boost yet. 

In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Neil Stapleton -

Thanks Sal, Good to know others are sharing our pain smile Hopfully we'll get some traction on the Tracker and get this one resolved soon in 3.2.x.

by Marc Couture -

Thanks for creating this tracker, Neil. My users are VERY confused by this change, I would say it is a major problem as far as I'm concerned and should be prioritized accordingly.

by Marc Couture -
In reply to Marc Couture

by Neil Stapleton -

Thanks Marc... I'm half hoping my tracker searching is off and someone will be able to indetify an existing Tracker that already has some support. I fear this one will be classed as a 'minor' 'feature' rater than a bug.  Shame if it does because it's dampened my enthusiasm for what is otherwise a great release and a real step forward... ulitamtly we might just have to bite the bullet and move to Boost sooner that I'd hoped.

by Marc Couture -

The Gradebook should stay where it has been since... well... forever!

This has to be a mistake.  Functionality should not change drastically depending on what theme you are using, as it defeats the reasoning behind separating content from its container.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I linked an earlier issue to the tracker report by the way, going part of the way to explaining the result MDL-42101
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marc Couture -
Had we known this was in the works, we would have commented on the proposed change...  We disabled the Nav bar on our server as we feel it needlessly clutters an already very busy interface for teachers and students (for example, why see a list of courses when the My courses link is faster to access?). If the Nav bar could be personalized, that would mitigate the problem, but that's another problem I guess...

In reply to Marc Couture

by Neil Stapleton -

So there's been a lot of activity on this over the last few days, and I think the work that's been done to correct and updating guidance and documentation is very helpful to overall understanding and the future (big thanks Mary & Helen).  It doesn't really help those of use who initially missed the change in the first place, and have taken the plunge to 3.2 and still have the issue.

I though I'd share with you what we've ended up doing as a work around to keep our users happy for the time being and avoid adding the Nav blcok back in.

We've added a persistant block containing a client side script (javascript) that looks at the URL and when the page it a course main page it captured the course ID and outputs a 'Grades' link.

Now I'm not saying this is the right way to go and it is far from an ideal solution, it's just what's worked for us in our particular use case. I am also fully aware it's fraught with potential issues from a UX design perspective, that said, so far the phone calls and emails have stopped and it appears to be working for our users. So I thought is was work sharing.

This does obviously mean you need to allow Javascript within an HTML block and anyone looking to do this should make sure you understand how to do this and the associated risks.

Here's the code we used:

<a id="link" href=""><b><span id="txt" style="font-size: 1.2em;"><br></span></b></a>
<script>
function getUrlVars() {
var vars = {};
var parts = window.location.href.replace(/[?&]+([^=&]+)=([^&]*)/gi, function(m,key,value) {
vars[key] = value;
});
return vars;
}

var id = getUrlVars()["id"];
var u = "/grade/report/index.php?id=";

if (window.location.href.indexOf("course/view.php?id=") != -1){
  document.getElementById("txt").innerHTML = "Grades";
  document.getElementById("link").href = u.concat(id);
}else{
  document.getElementById("txt").innerHTML = "";
  document.getElementById("link").href = "";
}

</script>

This is how it looks on a course page

...and this is how it looks anywhere else (pretty unobstrusive)