Limit number of ip adresses per user

Limit number of ip adresses per user

by marwa bekrar -
Number of replies: 4

Hi Moodle Community,

My company want to limit the number of ip addresses used per user to 3 @ip max. Is it possible on moodle ? 

Thank you,  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to marwa bekrar

Re: Limit number of ip adresses per user

by James McLean -

There was a similar question posted not long ago, here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=341894

My answer there, applies in this case. Short answer: Limiting a user to a set number of IPs is not a good way to go.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to James McLean

by marwa bekrar -

But is it possible on Moodle? 

In reply to marwa bekrar

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Not in core, no.  You can limit access from specific ip ranges and you can limit users so that they only have one active login session but I have not seen any way to limit to a specific number of ip's per user.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to marwa bekrar

by Robin Stark -
Hello, 

Out of curiosity what is the driver of the requirement to not allow more than 3 IPs per user when most people's internet IP is given to them via DHCP, just seems like this approach would really set you up for a large amount of administrative effort.  There could be a better way of approaching the issue while still solving the problem that this business rule is attempting to solve.

-RS