student faced problem in quiz

student faced problem in quiz

by m question -
Number of replies: 3

hi

I hope you can help me in this issue

one of the students faced a problem when solving a quiz in Moodle. the limit time for quiz was 15 minutes.the quiz contained 5 questions.

the student started on time and solved 3 questions, she said that when she tried to answer the 4th one , Moodle returned her to the previous one which she solved!!!! she tried many times until the time is up.

then she got the following error :

"this attempt has already been finished.
More information about this error
Debug info 
Error code:attemptalreadyclosed
stack trace:
line 83 of \mod\quiz\processattempt.php: moodle_quiz_exception thrown"

I reviewed her logs and I found the following:

1)time taken : 18 min 52 secs

2)overdue 3 mins 52 secs 

why she has overdue almost 4 minutes ????, while Moodle should not allow this to happen

in detailed logs, I found quiz attempt started, and quiz attempt reviewed but there is not any quiz submitted but the error shows that she tried to submit and it was already submitted.

I really need your help is this bug or the student just had a bad connection to the internet , so Moodle submitted her answers, and when she tried to submit again she got the error.

there are other students that didn't face any problem, but I need your opinion on this issue, 

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to m question

Re: student faced problem in quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

How is the quiz set up? Are all the questions on one page? What setting for 'How questions behave'?

What device was the student using? Computer on the campus network, or Mobile phone in an area with a really weak signal?

You've looked in the Moodle logs. Have you also tried looking in the web server logs?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by m question -

thanks for reply.

each question  is located in a page

Question behaviour :

shuffle within questions :Yes

how question behave:Deferred

Allow redo within an attempt :NO (disable)

Each attempt builds on the last:No 

=====

I am using : Moodle 3.1, server os : windows server 2008 R2, WAMP

==========

student used her desktop in her home 

she said that her connection was good and she could open other tabs with no problem 

and no I did not see server log until now , I will  search on where is the log stored and how to view it, but what I will look for in server log ?I know her IP address.

and error log is not helping there is error about other instance of moodle that is keep repeating and didn't other helpful info.

thanks for reply 

In reply to m question

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What do you see when you review the student's attempt. From the description, one would expect to see answers saved for the first three questions, but not for the other two.

If you can find the Apache server logs, and look for the student's IP address, then you should see something like

1. GET of mod/quiz/view.php (200 status code)
  2. POST to mod/quiz/startattempt.php (This is them clicking the Start/Continue attempt button) that will redirect (302 status code) to
  3. GET of mod/quiz/attempt.php (200 status code)
  4. POST to mod/quiz/processattempt.php (This is when they click Next, or navigate in some other way) that will redirect (302 status code) to
  5. GET of mod/quiz/attempt.php?page={N+1} (200 status code)

Those last two step should repeat until eventually they get to mod/quiz/summary.php, which is the final page with the summary table and the Submit all and finish button.

I can't think of anything in the code that would cause Moodle to keep re-directing them back to question 3. It would be really helpful if you could work out what actually happened.

There is a reason why the quiz is shown as having taken nearly 19 mintues. It is explained in this forum thead: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=334642. See also the proposed change MDL-54907.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)