sharing moodle data directory (yearly instances)

sharing moodle data directory (yearly instances)

by Edwin Acevedo -
Number of replies: 3

I want to create a copy of my moodle installation for every school year.

I want Leave a copy for 2006, before each teacher resets its courses in 2007, i don´t want them to lost their course materials (pdfs mostly) that they have loaded thru several years, that's why i need to reuse the moodle data directory. 

I want that copy to be live running, so i they will be capable of seen the info for 2006, course grades, etc.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edwin Acevedo

Re: sharing moodle data directory (yearly instances)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That is not the best way to do it and will not work in the way you are thinking - sharing your moodledata folder between two instances will end up most probably breaking both versions.  

Why not just create a new category for each year and copy the courses over?  That way you can hide it from students but still allow teachers to see it.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Edwin Acevedo

Re: sharing moodle data directory (yearly instances)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

True ... can not use one moodledata directory for two instances of Moodle.

But think I'd attempt to project towards the future what will happen ...

What's the largest course backup right now?

How much free space do you have on the partition where moodledata lives?

From year to year, do you add extensions/addons or keep it a stock moodle ... no addons/xtra's?

If the courses from the year 2006 serve as a base line, backing them up, restoring them to 2007 (no users) takes up how much space?    Then, at the end of 2007, same will be done for 2008 ... 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, .... heck this is 2016 today.

Would a course from 2006 (10 years old) be worth keeping?

'spirit of sharing', Ken