Cron job throws install.php errors

Cron job throws install.php errors

by tasty minerals -
Number of replies: 4

I've set up a moodle website on a dedicated server machine. I have a cron job set:

# m h  dom mon dow   command
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/moodle/admin/cli/cron.php  >/dev/null

I was informed via email about cron issues on this machine.

/usr/bin/php /var/www/html/moodle/admin/cli/cron.php >/dev/null

Error: Unable to connect or start own listener. Aborting.
What can be the reason for the message above? Looks like cron.php creates config file and prepares database. I thought it is a one time operation why use cron for that? What would happen if I comment out the job in crone?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to tasty minerals

Re: Cron job throws install.php errors

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Cron doesn't do that... why do you think it does?

That error messages sounds like one that the dreaded 'Unoconv' throws. The whole things seems very odd.

In reply to Howard Miller

by tasty minerals -

Oh, I confused it with install.php sorry. Still back to cron.php.  From quick install guide:

"You will need a cron job to run periodically (for Moodle 3.1 and later we recommend every minute). You do not set up Cron inside Moodle but on your server. Your site will not work properly unless cron is running regularly. It is very important you do not skip this step."

So, is it absolutely necessary to have a cron job in order for moodle to work properly?

*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/moodle/admin/cli/cron.php  >/dev/null

And most importantly what should I tell our admins who will keep sending me notifications about cron job errors? smile

In reply to tasty minerals

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It is necessary and you'll need to tell us what the errors are so we can advise. 

I very much doubt the 'Unable to connect...' error came from cron as I think it's the conversion to PDF process used by Assignment. Unless, of course, you have some optional plugin that I don't know about. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by tasty minerals -

I see. No optional plugins, this is the very default moodle setup with email sign up option enabled. Unfortunately no additional info was sent to me except for the error message and the info that it was caused by cron job.