Moodle 1.9.9 to Moodle 3.1.2 What will I lose?

Moodle 1.9.9 to Moodle 3.1.2 What will I lose?

by Iban Cardona i Subiela -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I'd like to move a Moodle version 1.9 to Moodle 3.1 (going by 2.2, 2.8...).  I'd like to know where I can find what activities or functionalities I will lose.

Thank you so much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Iban Cardona i Subiela

Re: Moodle 1.9.9 to Moodle 3.1.2 What will I lose?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Your sanity!

Sorry, Facebook moment there. If it all works out, you will lose little or nothing. Unless, you have custom plugins in your 1.9 site that no longer exist. It's the "If it works" that matters.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Iban Cardona i Subiela -

Hello Howard,

Thank you so much for your answer.

The important...  Will I lose anything on assignments or questionnaires?

Thanks!

by Robert Brenstein -
There is unfortunately not simple answer to that. It depends on many factors. Some sites had high transfer rates, others were less successful, if you search moodle.org posts. You can read the release notes for each newer version and see what has changed and how that affects what your Moodle has. For example, there was a major change with I think assignment module by Moodle 2.6 if I am not mistaken.

If having full access to Moodle 1.9 data is important, you can leave that version running, running 3.1 as the production site. You can still go through the upgrade steps (do not forget 1.9.9 to 1.9.19 before jumping to 2.2) or start 3.1 clean. The latter works well in school settings for example.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

+1

I did't say this the first time because you didn't ask but I feel the best advice is NOT to upgrade from 1.9. The versions are too different and you do get all sorts of problems. 

I would take the opportunity to create a fresh copy of Moodle and recreate your courses from scratch. Once you have recovered from the initial horror of that you may see it has lots of advantages. Clearing out the junk being just one of them.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I agree with Howard. Also never upgrade a live moodle without testing on a backup system first. This is not because you are likely to loose anything in the long run, but because you may encounter issues that take time to solve and solving on a test system is better than trying to solve on a live.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you go through the site upgrade process (of which there are several in between steps), you should keep everything, except any non-supported plugins.  The assignment was replaced with a much better version but you will have the ability to upgrade all your assignment instances, also the quiz that also improves greatly.  

If as suggested, you build a nice new shiny(!) 3.1 or 3.2 site and import your courses, you will lose all user data.

Some people keep an archived copy of their 1.9 or older sites online so that the data is accessible and then just start a fresh site.  This might be another solution for you and would be the easiest overall.