solr alternative

solr alternative

by Neil Glastonbury -
Number of replies: 5

Hi there,

I'm running Moodle on smarterasp.net but they said:

Dear Customer,

Sorry for the inconvenience.We are windows IIS server instead of Apache. May not support PHP Solr extension.

Thank you.
Is there a valid alternative or am I never going to be able to search my site!? Appreciate any help/info/suggestions please...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Neil Glastonbury

Re: solr alternative

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Qualifications for this response ...  dunno that it could be done ... but you **might** have two cloud solutions available ... Amazon and Google

https://bitnami.com/stack/solr/cloud/google

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B008ASMOSK

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Neil Glastonbury -

great, I'll give'um a whirl. Appreciate your time & quick response.

by Neil Glastonbury -

Thanks Ken,

No joy I'm afraid. I'm just not proficient enough to follow up the " launch a new server with Solr" link, if it IS even possible! 

Hi,

Unfortunately we don't support shared hosting providers because of the restrictions they impose on the users in terms of server management. However, if you're able to execute Shell commands in your server, you might be able to install Solr with our installers.
If not, you would need to launch a new server with Solr (or you could install both Solr and Moodle in that server if you prefer), and configure your application to use that external Solr server.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Bitnami Support

@bitnami

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

That's interesting.   Usman is the resident IIS expert.   Maybe he will be kind enough to address the question/issue.   For that matter, anyone @Moodle.org would be nice.

Am kinda surprised at the response from Bitnami, however, but maybe I shouldn't be.   It seems to me that one could run the Bitnami stack for solr ... which is apache only ... on the same server as IIS (that uses port 80 and contains the moodle code) .... the Bitnami stack with apache and solr would run on port 8080.

Yep, that would be a rather complicated setup and a challenge for experienced IIS server admins as well (I imagine).

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Jeff Noel -

I know this is an old thread, but my comment might actualy help someone else.

I had issues with my manual installation of Solr on Windows, so I tried the Bitnami Stack. I have IIS running on port 80. Configured Bitnami's Apache Solr stack for 8982 (as Solr service will use port 8983). It's working flawlessly and I was able to migrate my existing Solr indexes easily.

So for anyone wondering if it's feasible, Ken's theory was right: it can be done and it's working fine on an IIS setup.