Quiz Scores by category of questions. (Pulled randomly from a database)

Quiz Scores by category of questions. (Pulled randomly from a database)

by Elsa Anna -
Number of replies: 5

I have a 50 points quiz test that will have 10 random question each, from 5 different categories. (Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry... )

Is there a plugin or module that I can use to generate 'Category wise' scores, along with the combined final scores.

It will allow teachers to understand areas that need more attention.

I found a old thread from 2013, which talks about the same functionality : https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=219932

Can anyone please help me figure out how to get this done?

* I have messaged the originator of the old thread to check what happened to that project.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elsa Anna

Re: Quiz Scores by category of questions. (Pulled randomly from a database)

by Elsa Anna -
Adding to the previous post :

I found one more project on GitHub, which seeks to build the same functionality. 

Looks like the Mod / Plugin works, but only for MSSQL. The only one issue reported is that it doesn't work on MYSQL, for which the project developer has replied "The SQL in report.php, dealing with the category tree, would need to be rewritten for MySQL. I haven't done that. A patch would be welcomed if someone wants to do so."

Any takers ?

See details here:

https://github.com/MorrisR2/moodle_quiz_categorygrades

In reply to Elsa Anna

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Elsa,

What type database do you use? I gather that it is not MSSQL.

I took a look at the report code and there are a couple of other spots needing to be changed for MySQL...ISNULL needs to be changed to IFNULL. The other problem with the category tree, is that, WITH, is not supported in current versions of MySQL ....unless you upgrade to MySQL 8.0.2 or 8.0.3...which are not yet released. If you are using MariaDB, supposedly it does support WITH.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Elsa Anna -

Hi Al, I am using Moodle on a shared hosting account, so no MariaDB access. Only MySQL.

If you can spare some time, can you please try making the plugin work for MySQL ? 

This feature (category-wise grading) is something that quite a few users seem to be interested in. ( and I will be eternally grateful ! )

My current installation is :

Moodle 3.3

Database server
Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
Server type: MySQL
Server version: 5.6.34-log - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
Protocol version: 10
Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Web server
cpsrvd 11.60.0.43
Database client version: libmysql - 5.1.73
PHP extension: mysqli Documentation

In reply to Elsa Anna

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Elsa,

Unfortunately, I am swamped with other projects at the moment. Since there is no officially released version of MySQL that supports WITH, that means the SQL used in the plugin would need a major rewrite to use SELECT * instead.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Elsa Anna -
I understand smile 

Your comments give a sense of the time and effort involved in modifying the code; and the general direction to be followed by anyone who picks this up.

Unless someone else volunteers, I guess this plugin will have to wait for a while. Would've loved to give it a shot... but it is much beyond my limited technical abilities.

Just wondering... is there any other Moodler who can be requested for help ?

Thanks!

Elsa