Student view and teacher view gradebooks don't match

Student view and teacher view gradebooks don't match

by Gary Oyer -
Number of replies: 2

We are running Moodle 3.1.1+ (Build: 20160804)

We had two faculty where they said the students reported they saw drastically different total grades for the class than the teacher reported .   When I looked from student login I saw it.    For the faculty, in the main gradebook view as well as the User Report view, they see the same, correct grade.  But the student sees a different grade.  When looking at it from the student log in,  I noticed that some of the gradebook categories totals didn't  show in the student view, but the items did.   Those categories then, didn't calculate into the student's total score, so the score they see and the correct one the faculty see, can be quite a bit off.
Everything was setup correct.  They both had other classes setup similar with no problems.   One of them was using Natural and one was using Simple weighted.
I recalled that one time  I had some sort of category issue and I just hid and then unhid the category and it was fine.   So on the category totals that didn't show to the students, I hid those categories and then made them visible again, and they then matched. 

When I told faculty they might want to check grades with one student, two replied that they did and the scores were off, but only by about .3 of one percent.
When I looked at the student grades, again from the the student log in, I could see the category totals showing for all categories.   This time I just hid the main category for the class, and unhid it and the totals then match exactly.   

I didn't find anything about this issue when I searched the gradebook forum.  
Has anyone else seen this?

In reply to Gary Oyer

Re: Student view and teacher view gradebooks don't match

by Susan Fleming -

We are using 2.9.7 and have just encountered this problem in one of our courses.  The course categories are all set to

Aggregation = originally: Weighted Mean of Grade; changed to Simple Mean of Grade for those categories with only one item

Exclude Empty Grades

Grade Type = Value

Scale = not used

Apart from the fact the instructor adjusted the Letters to reflect the course distribution, the course uses the same defaults as the majority of other courses on our system.

Susan

In reply to Susan Fleming

Re: Student view and teacher view gradebooks don't match

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This probably has nothing to do with aggregation.  It is more likely due to either hidden activities and/or a difference in the settings between the grader report and user report - again most likely the hidden activities settings.  e.g. When a teacher hides an activity, it is subtracted from the student view but not the teacher view.

This is an ongoing issue in the moodle gradebook - the fact that the student can often see a different grade than the teacher without the teacher realizing...