My first manual install of Moodle: question about setting up backups

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 11
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: My first manual install of Moodle: question about setting up backups

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I recommend that you back up three things: your mySQL database, your moodledata folder, and your current moodle folder.

I am attaching my script file (replace "yours") that I run every evening via a cron job.  I think that you should be able to see what it is doing.  This provides me a rolling 7 day backup.

I am always interested in suggestions to improve this.  It should someday be modified to also backup my moodle to a secondary server.  Just haven't done that yet.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

In reply to Deleted user

by Rick Jerz -

I don't run Joomla, and I don't know what Akeeba is, so I am not exactly sure what you need to do.  The Moodle database is not in public_html, it is in mySQL.  So I don't know if Akeeba backs up all of your mySQL databases.  And you still have to worry about your moodledata folder being synchronized with the database.

If you have never worked with shell scripts, this file that I gave you could be a little hard to read.  I put this up one level from my public_html folder (just like moodledata).

You might want to install a second, experimental moodle.  Many folks would recommend that your backup plan is only as good as your "restore" plan.  So whatever you are doing make sure to test that you can restore your experimental moodle.  Or you might even see if you can restore your backup up moodle to another server.  Don't simply trust that it should work.  Test it!  In fact, test your restore method regularly until you can do it in your sleep.

Somewhat coincidentally, I just restored my last night production moodle to my MAMP (15 minutes ago).  I use my MAMP copy to try new things with my real production data.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by William Stewart -
Rick,

I just wanted to say I couldn't agree more with your advice "until you can do it in your sleep"! I did probably around 30 restore sessions (some on Windows MAMP, the rest on Mac MAMP) in preparation to simply load an updated site onto ourserver last week as a "restore" (rather than update the live site) due to hiccups updating back in September. Just directed the config file to the "new" database and  the new OS package. Practice made it go very very smoothly!

In reply to William Stewart

by Rick Jerz -

Sometimes people do not realize how beautiful Moodle really is!  Being able to easily run experimental copies of Moodle on a Mac or Windows PC for learning and experimenting is something that one cannot easily do with the other major LMSs.  

In reply to Rick Jerz

by William Stewart -

I'll admit, Moodle has grown on me. Every system has its pros and cons and Moodle takes some work to get set up just right for a particular school, program, etc. but in the end, it's a pretty good custom fit.

It is also a  subtle point that I never initially considered- the fact that you can run a copy of your own installation locally and do any number of tests, changes, etc. non-destructively is a pretty big deal.

A course in installing Moodle, administering various things, doing migrations, etc. would have been a big help to me prior to current job but it has been a great experience learning how to do all of that (as much as I would prefer not to at times!). 

I think back to a year ago when I interviewed for my current position and was very direct that Moodle was my biggest weakness (as I had only used it as a student) and nearly a year later how different the situation is! I now own a number of books and have a ton of website links that have taken me from zero knowledge to a survivor lol.

by Rick Jerz -

Not only can someone practice with their own locally installed copy of Moodle, someone can also get a free MoodleCloud copy.  And you can move courses back and forth between your local copy, MoodleCloud, and your production Moodle.

Mary Cooch has done a pretty good job with all of her training resources.  I remember buying one of her books when I first started using Moodle.  She continues to write a little, produce instructional videos, and provide support here on moodle.org.

One of my schools recently switched from D2L to Canvas, and I ran into a newly hired person with some "moodle" experience.  She claimed that I would simply "love Canvas."  To date, she has been unsuccessful convincing me of her opinion.  Canvas may look pretty and easy, but I find it extremely lacking in core functionality (quiz engine, forums, grade book, and documentation.)  Yep, just my opinion.  Yep, can't install a local copy of Canvas to experiment.

What I find interesting is that when my schools pick products like Blackboard, D2L, and Canvas, they don't understand the need for me (the professor) to see exactly how a student sees my courses.  I have to beg and plead to get schools to give me an experimental student account!  Being the owner and manager of my own Moodle allows me to experiment as much as I want.  This reduces my learning curve.

In reply to Rick Jerz

In reply to Deleted user

by Rick Jerz -

Laurie, I have read your last two recent posts.  First, I think you are in good shape with separate backups.  Second, yes,  trying to make a local backup for your entire website could be complicated by have both Joomla and Moodle.  However, you can still have just a local Moodle for experimenting.  Do you have a PC or Mac?  I assume your website is Linux, right?  Which version of AMP are you trying to run on your local computer?  I run MAMP on my Mac.

In reply to Rick Jerz