Blog not visible even when set to anyone in the world

by Mike Jackson -
Number of replies: 5

We are using MOODLE 2.7 and I have been trying to figure out how to make some course content visible to parents, without creating parent accounts and using the parent role. I discovered that with OUBlog, I can make posts visible to "anyone in the world" and had no trouble setting this up.

I then discovered that the same can be set for MOODLE's built in blog. However, I set maximum visibility to "world" and then changed a post visibility to "world", but it is not visible without logging in. Any suggestions on how to actually make these blog posts visible externally?

I would stick with OUBlog, but we need to upgrade to 3.1 and OUBlog development lags so far behind that we would have to wait several more months before we can upgrade the site...

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Thursday, 27 October 2016, 3:13 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Jackson

Re: Blog Visibility

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Where /how are you trying to acces the blog entries?I just tried on a 3.1 site and I could make them visible without logging in, so I'm wondering which of your settings are different from mine?

In reply to Mike Jackson

Re: Blog Visibility

by Mike Jackson -

Hi Mary, 

IF I go to this link, I see the entries that I have flagged as externally visible.

https://secure.smus.ca/moodle/mod/oublog/view.php?id=34523

If I go to this:

https://secure.smus.ca/moodle/blog/index.php?userid=15 or this:

I get a log in screen to authenticate on our network. I have published the post as "visible to anyone in the world"...

Does guest access need to be enabled on the server? I can't figure out why it works for OUBlog, but not for the built in blog.

In reply to Mike Jackson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I can't see that either, sorry, because on test sites when you go to yourmoodlesite/blog/index.php you should be able to access site blogs but on yours, it redirects to the login page. I can only assume it is something to do with your SAML login and which OU blog can handle and Moodle cannot. I've changed the title of this thread in the hope that others can enlighten us smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Blog not visible even when set to anyone in the world

by Mike Jackson -

Thanks. It is interesting that we have 3 MOODLE 2.7 sites running at our school and two of them require a log in to access blog posts that are set to "visible to the world" whereas the third one does not. I am puzzled as to

1) why OUBlog seems to be visible on all 3 sites

2) but 2 of the sites require a log-in to view built-in blog posts but the third does not.

Puzzling!

Fortunately, I have discovered that th current version of OUBlog does seem to work/behave with 3.1, so we may be able to move ahead with our upgrade after all.

In reply to Mike Jackson

Re: Blog not visible even when set to anyone in the world

by Mike Jackson -

OK. I think I have figured it out. The difference between the sites was whether the 

Force users to login” option’s checkbox was selected in Settings > Site administration > Security> Site policies

If checked then "visible to the world" blog posts are not visible without logging in. If unchecked then they are!

I found my answer on this page:

http://elearning.3rdwavemedia.com/blog/how-to-set-moodles-user-login-page-as-the-sites-landing-page/592/