Is it possible to integrate an external system database with a new Moodle installation?

Is it possible to integrate an external system database with a new Moodle installation?

by Salman Zaidi -
Number of replies: 2

Hi Mary,

I am new to Moodle. I need some guidance to start with certain scenario.  My new employer asked me to integrate external system having course information and learner information with new moodle website. He wants learner to register on moodle and same information should also go to exact fields existed in external system which is MS SQL SERVER. The problem is moodle has limited fields formation for leaner or user registration. while external db requires many additional information of learner to be stored.

Can you please guide me how to start with right direction. I have studied external database plugin but not sure how it works. Will that cover all other additional fields entries (exist in SQL server) if I add same fields in user profile fields feature in user registration form of moodle?

Waiting for reply. I am sorry I could not find proper thread topic to ask this question to you. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Salman Zaidi

Re: Is it possible to integrate an external system database with a new Moodle installation?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Salman,

Unfortunately your question is not a theme related topic so I have split it from the previous discussion you tagged it onto, in order that I can MOVE it to another FORUM who can answer you, or at least point you in the right direction.

Sorry I could be of so little help.

Kind regards,

Mary

In reply to Salman Zaidi

Re: Is it possible to integrate an external system database with a new Moodle installation?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This should actually be in the Authentication forum.  

For the registration part, this should work for you.  You can add custom profile fields and they will be added to the External Database field mapping area so that you can map appropriately.

As for the course info, I am not sure what you are trying to do there.  Are you wanting to enrol the users automatically into Moodle courses according to database or create courses or both?  You can do both with the External Database enrollment.  

There is documentation on both...