Export and Import courses and users to another server.

Export and Import courses and users to another server.

by Patryk Komadowski -
Number of replies: 2

Welcome as the topic whether it is through MYSQL-> phpMyAdmin. Transfer courses and users to a new server to the newly installed Moodle? I ask because I spilled something in the previous version and would like to recover the data on the new server.
The old version of Moodle on the previous server are: 2.8.5.
The new version of Moodle are: 3.0.6.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patryk Komadowski

degrama

by Grant Mucha -

I mean it is likely possible.

However, the level of detail provided really does not help anyone providing advice.

If you have the previous Moodle installation I recommend simply having someone else complete the migration for you. If you do not then likely you will need a a professional to help you sort out your flopped migration.

My last thought would be why don't you have both 2.8.5 and 3.0.6 running on the new server together. You should only be switching over to the newly upgraded installation once everything is complete and it is stable.

Cheers,

Grant

In reply to Patryk Komadowski

Re: Export and Import courses and users to another server.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Not enough information ...

Example: the 2.8.5 had plugins installed and used through out various courses.   Backups of those courses if restored to the 3.0.6 will not automagically find/download/install those plugins on an as needed basis.   One has to know what plugins were used in the 2.8.x and install 3.0.x versions of them in the new server *before* attempting to restore courses.

Those 2.8.x backups could also include users ... which also presents potential conflicts of user roles in the new system.   That item might also kill a restore of a course to the 3.0.x if there is a role conflict of some sort.

'spirit of sharing', Ken