"Rolling" cohort enrolment/unenrolment vs suspended users

"Rolling" cohort enrolment/unenrolment vs suspended users

by Hanna du Plessis -
Number of replies: 1

Good day, I'm new to any kind of forum and kind of new to Moodle. smile

We have potentially 3000 students and the principal wants us to be able to enroll students in a variety of courses throughout different categories at different times... and I need help!

1. Students are enrolled onto relevant courses according to their job descriptions (we do in-service training), which would make a cohort seem like the best option; however some of students should also be able to enroll onto unique courses that not all of the cohort will have access to. If I remove them from the cohort, they will be unenrolled from some of the courses, which is not necessarily what we want.

2. There will be "rolling" enrollments, which means that as one person might resign or be promoted, another one will be appointed in their place and will now be enrolled onto the courses the previous person has completed.

2. We want the students to have a set time period to complete a course, but if I unenroll them, it seems like a difficult task to get their grades back, seeing as I must re-enroll them to recover their grades. It also seems like a difficult thing to do with a large number of students.

3. I have considered suspending accounts to limit their access to those courses that they must have completed by a certain time, but if I do that, they cannot access other courses that they are still allowed on.

4. From what I have read, it seems my best option would be to duplicate courses and enroll each new group of students, which might be difficult with up to 3000 students and a number of different courses.

Having said that, if that is what I must do, then so be it. I am just a bit stumped as to what to do.

Anyone with any advice and suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hanna du Plessis

Re: "Rolling" cohort enrolment/unenrolment vs suspended users

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There are so many different ways you can enrol, I think you need to look at all the options.

1.  External database/LDAP: you could set up an external database or LDAP server and use groups for enrollment/unenrollment.

2.  Upload courses and/or users.  You can use csv files to create user enrollments and create courses.

3.  A lot enrollment methods have expiration dates which you can set at the course level.  This will take care of your time limits.

4.  You can pull grades from the database without having to reenroll the students.  Look at the configurable reports plugin.

Sometimes we get stuck looking at trying to do something one way where really we would be better to think a little differently!