Version 2.8: Best way to test new course

Version 2.8: Best way to test new course

by Bob Heckmann -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

I'm looking for guidance on best practices for testing new courses. I use Moodle in a corporate environment and want to have colleagues review courses under development before opening them up company-wide.

Thanks,

Bob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Heckmann

Re: Version 2.8: Best way to test new course

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Add a few student users, even another one for yourself (using a second email address), log in as the students and then try your resources and activities.  When finished with the experiment, reset your course to remove the experimental stuff or create a new course based upon your experimental course.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bob Heckmann -

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I didn't ask my question the right way. What I'm trying to accomplish is create a fully functional course that is accessible only to certain users. When those users have finished reviewing I want to open up the course to all users. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Bob Heckmann

by Peter Koel -

Dear Bob,

Rick's suggestions will still work for you:

1. Create a Moodle category that is not visible to users

2. Create your course in this test category and ensure the course is not visible. this ensures no one but an admin level user and you, will be able to see the course.

3. Add your users to the course. When they are added, they will be the only ones able to get into the course.

4. Test with your users. When  you are done, move the course to a different, visible, category.

I too use Moodle in a corporate environment. I used to do this until we created a duplicate test Moodle system.

Cheers,

Peter

In reply to Peter Koel

by Rick Jerz -

I agree with you Peter about doing this on an experimental, or test version of moodle.  This way the log files for one's production moodle will not contain all of the experimenting actions.  Then once the course has be tested on the experimental moodle, I would backup the course without user data, and restore it in the production moodle.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bob Heckmann -

Thanks Peter and Rick. I agree a test environment is the best model, I just haven't gotten there yet.

A follow-up question...I have the course in a hidden category as suggested and I've manually assigned users to the course. But the course doesn't show up for those users. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Bob

In reply to Bob Heckmann

by Rick Jerz -

I normally don't run my moodle this way, but I will take a guess at the problem.

Since the course category is hidden, students will not be able to see it.  I think Peter mentioned above that only administrators would be able to see this hidden course.  The administrator can log in as any student (impersonate a student) and try things, but the students cannot (yet.)  Maybe Peter can add some more thoughts to this discussion.

Tell me why you cannot set up an experimental moodle? It might only take 5 minutes to do so.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bob Heckmann -

I have bandwidth limitations and thought setting up a test moodle might take a lot of time. Are there instructions you can point me to that cover the options?

In reply to Bob Heckmann

by Rick Jerz -

I cannot anticipate any bandwidth differences between experimenting on one versus another moodle.

I will provide the quick install, but it is always best to read the docs.  This can be done on the same server, too.

1) Create another database, such as moodleexp.

2) Create another moodledata folder, such as moodledataexp

3) Install the new moodle into a new folder, such as moodleexp. Log in, let the install happen.  Fill in the required "blanks."

You're essentially done.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bob Heckmann -

Sorry Rick, by bandwidth I was referring to the limits on my own time to work on this. Many thanks for the instructions.

In reply to Bob Heckmann

by Rick Jerz -

Now I understand.  Yep, your are in good company here on moodle.org.  Many of us have the same limits on our time.  Time (i.e., do it yourself) versus money (i.e., pay someone else to do it.)

Good luck.