Showing feedback in grader report

Showing feedback in grader report

by Rick Johns -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all, I need to show "feedback" in the grader report so that our teachers can write a short comment for a particular week rather than a grade or letter. Choosing "text" as the grade option doesn't allow this. And in fact feedback is always hidden unless you are in the "single view" or "user report".

Does anyone know how I can add feedback to show up in the "grader report" or how this could be done using an activity or resource that isn't particularly attached to anything. I don't need students to actually do anything, just for their teacher to add a comment to the gradebook that then shows in grader report.

If you look in Moodle docs https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Grader_report the first screenshot entitled "Scrolling through the gradebook" actually shows exactly what I am looking for (there is a comment saying "Excellent point") but I can't see how to achieve it.

Thanks

Rick

In reply to Rick Johns

Re: Showing feedback in grader report

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

The text you see there is a Scale.

You CAN see feedback In the GraderReport view IF you click into one of the grade cells -- you'll see the feedback box area appear where you can manually input feedback (depending on your settings), but this could cause grade overrides which can be problematic if students try to resubmit work). 

As for how to have them appear there all the time, I'm not sure. I think in an older Moodle version there was an Edit Gradebook button which made all the feedback appear without clicking into each cell...

What is it you are trying to achieve? The gradebook isn't really meant to be the spot to enter grades, as it collects grades & feedback from all the activity modules -- any reason your teachers aren't entering/can't enter the feedback there? Knowing this could help other forum goes give you some suggestions.

In reply to John Provasnik

by Rick Johns -

Thanks for your reply John.

We are using Moodle gradebook in 'manual' mode - that is all of the grade items are manually created to record IELTS scores on a week by week basis, BUT for alternate weeks we only want to have a narrative grade (eg. "worked well this week" or "progressed in reading" etc).

To record IELTS grades it's fine - just create a new scale from 1.0 to 9.0 and select what you want.

To record narrative grade the only field we can use is to select the grade item with "no scale" and then fill in the feedback box associated with that grade item.

We are not generating any grade items by conventional means (from activities inserted into courses) though if this would enable us to generate a visible feedback in the grader report we could do this for the alternative weeks I suppose.

Grateful for any ideas.

Rick

In reply to Rick Johns

by John Provasnik -

If you want go the rout of adding an activity per gradable item into the course (which then adds them into the gradebook) then, you will just go into that assignment and give the student a grade/feedback. Our special ed teachers do it that way. Then they use the "User Reports" instead of the Grader Report to see the grades/feedback. If it is any help, when you select the User Report, the first drop-down option is to 'view all' to see all students (but not in grid format like the grader report).

If you want to continue the current rout you are on, you can add manual grade items in the Set Up view that have feedback only (no grade) and you can leave grades/feedback through the Single View for these alternate weeks. But neither of these suggestions get the feedback to always appear in the grader report at-a-glance.

In reply to John Provasnik

by Rick Johns -
Hi John, thank you for your input. We have decided to go with the way we are doing it - that is adding a manual grade item with no grade and use the feedback box edited from the "quick edit" facility. This is then viewable using the "User Report". In fact this is probably a better method of display of feedback than the Grader Report as you have the whole feedback shown rather than a truncated version.

Thanks for all.

In reply to Rick Johns

by John Provasnik -

BTY, you can see the grades and feedback side by side when you download the gradebook in excel format-  there is an option at the bottom of the download page to include feedback to display next to each grade.