Option to Comment on Posted Content

Option to Comment on Posted Content

by Sali Kaceli -
Number of replies: 10

As you consider the development, one option which would greatly enhance Moodle's usability would be the ability for students to comment on posted resources. The comments would not necessarily need to be graded but rather allow the students to post feedback similar to what they do in social media. This allows for student based feedback using a method they already utilize in the social media. 

The idea would be for the student to view the instructional video, then the instructor could post a prompt e.g. Have your say and then the student could click on Comment. Then as they click on Comment, the current video/content would shift to the left and the student post his/her comments on the top right along with other student's comments listed below theirs. Thus, when the student is entering their feedback, you have the original video and content on the left and comments on the right hand side. 

This concept is already implemented in the futurelearn.com open courses and it seems to add a whole new dimension to learning. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sali Kaceli

Re: Option to Comment on Posted Content

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Students commenting on posted resources in Moodle can be readily accomplished by using the Hot Question activity. Don't be mislead by the name "Hot Question" for the plugin, as it can be used for this type activity, plus many others. The latest release allows the teacher to change the default post directions, "Submit your question here" and make it any prompt the teacher wants. Students, teachers, managers, and admins can see what others have posted. They can also vote on entries.  Entries are listed by order of entry time and vote tally, right under the description and text area for posting. New rounds can be started by teachers at any time.

Having used this plugin this way and others, up until the time of my retirement, I totally agree that it added a, "whole new dimension to learning." It's vote capability was really nice for our school newspaper story ideas "suggestion box."

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Sali Kaceli -

Thank you. Very helpful. Will test it soon. 

In reply to AL Rachels

by Derek Chirnside -

I agree with the OP here, this is a good thing to have in an online course.

I've had a look at the plugin in the database AL.  It doesn't give me an idea of what it looks like with (for example) posting a video for comment.

Basically I want to post a video and have the opportunity for comment on it, something like this:

---

Week Five

This is a warm up activity for your testing strategies work.

Check out this video.  What are some of the things Carol says students do in response to failure?  What do you see in your classes?  And the real point: what could you be doing in your classes to help students develop a growth mindset?

---

Can HQ this?  I'm open to the voting options etc.  But the core need is for students to just comment.  I want my question/comment to set up the tone/level style (etc) of the student response.  And I don't need any grading.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hot Question can do this. Here is the way I like to set them up, with a Generico filter toggle button to hide the video until it is needed.

Once the toggle button is clicked, the video is revealed. The video is in another Gernico youtube filter, that will also let you set the display size. That means you could include two players, one for desktop and one for mobile size screens. The directions could be outside the toggle, if you wanted. And, of course you don't have to use the toggle, if you don't want too.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Derek Chirnside -

Thanks AL.

This is quite remarkable.  This is the simplest task I can think of: show something, and student responds, sometimes just what is needed.

Thanks

So, thinking laterally:

This is more than a 'question'.  I wonder if there is a better description?

I feel some feature creep coming on here.

• Fully featured atto in response field.
  • Way to post without stopping video
  • Maybe video on left, posts on the right.
  • -Derek

by AL Rachels -

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the interest in the plugin. I totally agree that this fulfills the task of, show something, and student responds, and my students always enjoyed using Hot Question just for that type of class activities. I was the "faculty sponsor" for our school newspaper and it was extremely handy for getting students input on story ideas.

"This is more than a 'question'.  I wonder if there is a better description?"

Well, the plugin was originally made so that students could ask questions in real time, and vote (add heat) on submitted questions they thought most important, so the plugin was named Hot Question. Like you, I think there might be a better description for it based on all the possible uses other than questions, so I'm open to suggestions. I have gradually started making it less "question" orientated by adding and making changes that make it a little more generic.

"Fully featured atto in response field." In my experience, this would be a grave mistake. Right now all entries for each round are added in a nice, neat, uniform list, right below the response field. If you give students a full editor, they will start to waste time and effort on trying to "decorate" their response to make it stand out, which actually just wastes space and makes the entries harder to read. Nowadays, most students block print when writing by hand, but when typing in class, my students would try to find the most flowery, difficult to read fonts they could, and increase the font size from normal to ridiculous. I literally had to start taking points off grades to make them turn in easily read text.

Way to post without stopping video. Use a different media filter for the video that pops it open in another window so it is not on the same page as the post button. I just used what I had handy.

Maybe video on left, posts on the right. This is not really a, video with response, type activity. That layout would require a rewrite of the plugin to accommodate one, specialized use, of the activity. Besides, if you come up with a way to have the video in it's own window so you can post without stopping the video, this change is not needed.

You are welcome to try making changes to the samples where you logged in yesterday. I haven't had a chance to see if there is another youtube player filter that will open in another window, as I am busy trying to add some new capability to another plugin I've adopted.

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle does have a "comments" feature, but it looks like its limited to the database, gloassry, wiki and blog activities. It doesn't seem like it would be too complex to extend that to any activity type.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Sali Kaceli -

Our intention is to use it primarily with videos and directions related to the video. Then the student would comment on it. Having the comments on the right hand side would be a major plus particularly since the screen resolutions nowadays should be able to facilitate having both the video and the comments in one view. Thanks for the discussion and the work on Hot Questions. Anything to enable seamless student input is very helpful since that is the environment where they live. 

In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sal,

It sounds to me like you're looking for something like the Social Wall course format: https://moodle.org/plugins/format_socialwall

Actually, it's a suite of plugins to get the full Facebook-like effect: https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=74

Perhaps these are the droids you are looking for?

And yes, from my years of classroom teaching + blended learning, I've learned more from informal comments and feedback from students than any student surveys. For fully online courses, getting spontaneous, immediate, informal feedback is more difficult.

I like your idea smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Sali Kaceli -

The Social Wall format looks pretty cool too. It looks like it is worth a try.