Moodle Upgrade Weirdness

Moodle Upgrade Weirdness

by Melanie Mornard -
Number of replies: 7

My host provider recently upgraded me to Moodle 3.1 but as I'm trying to learn all the new features using the videos in YouTube and in books I'm finding that they don't match with what I have.  It seems as though I have an older version of Moodle.

For example, I can't find completion tracking or other filters mentioned in the books I'm using, and I don't have the file picker menu that's shown.  The only applications I have in the file picker are:  Server Files, Recent Files, Upload a File, and Private Files.  In formats there's only: Topics, Weekly, Social and Single Activity.  I don't seem to have the Grid format mentioned.

I checked with the host to see what he downloaded and he says he downloaded Moodle 3.1.  Am I doing something wrong and just now going into the right areas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Mornard

Re: Moodle Upgrade Weirdness

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm assuming you have admin access. Got to Site administration > Notifications. What version do you have?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Melanie Mornard -

It says it's 3.1.1

That should be right, but it certainly doesn't seem to have all the new upgrades.

by Just H -

Sounds like the book is covering plugins as well as core hence not having Grid format and various repositories in the file picker (I assume you haven't installed any plugins).

In reply to Just H

by Melanie Mornard -

No, I haven't.  Not sure how to do it.  I'm old which is why I had the host provider upgrade this. 0:>

What would I need to do?

by Just H -

Have a quick read through the docs on plugins here. Then have a browse through the available plugins here. As mentioned in the docs, the easiest way is to install them automatically from the actual plugin page (if it works). Also common thinking is "less is more" to minimise potential issues. That said we tend to have 70+ on our install ... but we like "playing" and have the capability inhouse to get ourselves out of trouble when necessary.

As for being old, we're all getting there and it certainly sneaks up on you; I guess the alternative to getting old isn't that good an option either cool

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

A lot of the new features need activated (restrictions/completion e.g).  You need to go through the settings and enable them.  As mentioned already, Grid format is a plugin - not part of core.  You should really look at the Moodle docs on new features..youtube videos are probably really great but might be including stuff that you do not have.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Melanie Mornard -

I was going through Moodle docs and that's where I got the first video on picker.  That's when I began seeing I didn't have what they were discussing.  I'll go back and start again.