Course Completion Issues

Course Completion Issues

by Emily Webster -
Number of replies: 17

I have a course with multiple completion criteria as well as a graded quiz.  I am having problems with the report showing that the course is complete for a use who has met all the requirements - viewed all sections and completed quiz with passing grade. 

Completion settings screenshot

I have tried removing the grade requirement for course completion, yet it is still not marking them as complete (Emily Webster on the report).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(Edited by Gareth J Barnard - Image removed with student information, please erase / hide / obfsucate this in future - original submission Friday, 9 September 2016, 2:03 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emily Webster

Re: Course Completion Issues

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

MODERATOR - Please remove last image with student information!

I would guess that you changed a setting at some point.  Have you tried running a regrade on the test?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Image removed Emma with sensitive student information.  Please 'PM' me or use the 'Report to moderator' link for a faster response.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you checked the scheduled task as  mentioned in Course completion FAQ?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Emily Webster -

Hi Mary,

I did, and I changed the setting mentioned below:

Check in Site administration > Server > Scheduled tasks that the task 'Calculate regular completion data' is running frequently enough, such as every minute.

I set it to *5 minutes; however, it is still showing that it was never run.  I made this change on Friday.  I've contacted my IT section to see if there is something behind the scenes that is making it not work.

I also changed the grade requirement for course to show and now that isn't being marked complete either although the two users who have completed it both scored 10 (and the requirement is 8). 

any ideas?

Thank you!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think if your scheduled task for course completion isn't working then that is the first thing to resolve; otherwise the activities just aren't going to show as completed.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lesli Smith -

Oh, my. I totally missed the above post somehow and thought that the scheduled cron task was completing but the completion was not.

Yes--until that cron task runs, no amount of settings tweaks will help, here. 

Thanks for the catch, Mary!

If your IT needs tips or tricks for trouble-shooting getting the cron to process, let us know. I can't personally help with that bit, but I can enlist help. smile

In reply to Lesli Smith

by Emily Webster -

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for the help.  I'm a bit confused because the individual activities are showing as marked complete - even the quiz; however the course completion is not working.  I don't know enough about the tech side to know if that is just a CRON task issue or if the course completion set up is somehow not input correctly. 

by Lesli Smith -

You're welcome, Emily. Thankfully, you don't have to be a tech to see if cron is running as expected (as I am not a tech, believe me). See my shots of the scheduled tasks for course completions on one of my sites. It is set with stars across the row of time choices (meaning it is set to run as often as possible). See the time stamp columns say Last run 9:38, Next run 9:39. If you see dates/times from a while back when it is supposed to run every minute and/or it says Never there, your cron is not yet set up.

However, based on what you are saying about the other completions posting just not course completions, I think that carefully reviewing Melanie's excellent screen shots for what needs to be set where is a good idea as it sounds as if there is a setting getting in the way.

I am also curious to know if there is a grade posting for the course total for you as sometimes that can indicate a place where activity completions based on grade might be posting but course completions are not yet posting due to course grader report preferences set for the course total column getting in the way. Sorry I can't be more specific than that without knowing first where to look for whether that might be the case for you.

Attachment Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 8.40.44 AM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 8.40.58 AM.png
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Emily Webster -

Thanks ladies SO much!  I think I have a CRON issue... although I have no clue how to fix it.  However, I wanted to share some screen shots to make certain, and to show something odd in the course completion area too. 

Here is the course completion chart - I'm the student listed here, but have covered my information.  You can see it shows I have checks for all activities and a passing score for quiz.

Now, when I login as a student (shown above), and I check my progress, I get this:

So I am thoroughly confused! 

Below are screen shots of the course set up for completion and the quiz grade settings as well.  Maybe someone can see something that I'm not.

The quiz settings:

Any ideas other than CRON?

Thanks so much!

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This looks like a bug where the completion is demanding a grade of exactly 8.00 instead of 8.00 or greater.  Could you look at the required passing grade for the course as set in the gradebook settings (edit settings for the course grade) and see if it also is set at 8.00 or it is perhaps set higher.

On a side note, if the quiz is the only graded item in the course, there is really no need to require both a grade of 8 on the quiz and on the course as it will naturally be the same.  Try removing the course grade requirement and see if that doesn't resolve the issue.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

This isn't your quiz.  It IS the course completion settings.  I don't know why but sometimes the grade condition doesn't check.  It just prevents people from ever getting credit. 

One thing that sometimes helps:  Check your Grades.  If at the top of the screen it gives you a message that says, "Note: The aggregation method "Sum of grades" has been changed to "Natural" as part of a site upgrade. Since "Sum of grades" was previously used in this course, it is recommended that you review this change in the gradebook.", you need to click okay.  Sometimes that will trigger the grade condition to actually function (not immediately, but on the sync cycle, you might have to reset completion, too).  Of course this means sometimes it won't. 

My general solution is to never use grade condition.  You've set a grade to pass on the quiz (green check), so it won't give them credit without passing.  The grade condition is just one more thing Moodle has to do to complete the course.  Try removing it and see what happens.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Emily Webster -

Yes, I tried running a regrade, and that didn't change the course completion category. 

by Deepak B S -

I too had exactly the same error of course completion that you have posted here. After reading the messages posted, what i had done is to change the Grade Category Setting.

Go to Site administration  ► Grades  ► Grade category settings

In Aggregation (grade_aggregation) previous i had set it as Mean of Grades, which when i changed it to natural, had resolved this error and even cron worked after this setting has been changed. May be the system is not calculating the "Mean of Grades". 

Also in the meanwhile, you can change the weightage for each of the course in "Gradebook Setup" under Course Administration and change the weightage of each course to tally a total of 100.

Im just one month old to Moodle. So still in exploration. If any other solutions works or worked for you, please let me also know.

by Melanie Scott -

So...what we can't see in your image is whether the url's automatically report (show activity complete when conditions are met: student must view...) or if it requires the student to manually mark the item completed.  If they have to manually mark it, they should have directions (not that anyone reads directions but...).

A second possible issue is the passing grade on the quiz.  It is certainly possible (and probably a good idea) to require a passing grade. But does Moodle know what a passing grade for that quiz is?  Administration->Grades->Setup (tab), edit (on the quiz), edit settings, set the score needed to pass (not the percentage!).  You may have to click the Show more link...mine is a default show but I set it that way because instructors had such trouble finding it.  Then save.  Might solve the issue.  Also, if you require a passing gradein quiz settings, you must require a grade.  It seems redundant but won't work without it.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Emily Webster -

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have the conditions set to automatically mark activity complete once viewed, and the grade for quiz required is 8.0 and same for course.  Both users have a score of 10.0 for quiz.  It's not showing a check mark for the course 8.0 requirement now either or the course completion. 

I have tried updating the scheduled task mentioned in the FAQ, but that doesn't seem to be working either.  I'm at a loss!

by Lesli Smith -

Hi, Emily. 

Are you able to log in as the learner in question? If so, and I were trying to solve for this learner, I would look at the following things in this order:

1) If you are able to log in as this learner, first verify that the url resources are ticked off as complete on the front page from this learner's view. If not, then I would try to investigate why not.

2) Make sure you have set "grade to pass" in quiz settings as 8 and not 80, as Melanie said, and that your quiz points are set to be 10 and not 100 (all variables must match, here).

3) Check that you have set the completions requirements to be grade to pass + must receive grade (as Melanie said).

4) Check that your learner is posting a grade in the course total column and/or that there is not a conflict with number of attempts allowed/which attempt is marked as the one to post to the gradebook.

5) Not clear to me from your pic if you put in additional grade to pass for course requirement, so this is only relevant if you did: Review that your course total expectations for pass (if you have that set plus quiz) and your quiz total expectation for pass align (as in if you have 80 for course total, your course total column is set to be 100 and not 10). Sometimes the course total can be thrown off by the weighting in your gradebook categories and/or the course total requirement keeps the course completion from posting in cases where the course total is not posting for your learner in the grader report yet.

If you check all of the above and still are not getting the expected results, perhaps post a pic of the completion settings area of the quiz so we can help you verify that the necessary variables are set there.

Best,

Lesli

by Melanie Scott -

Looking at the grade book: Do the students' grades on the quiz show up in green (or red)?  If they are black, the grade to pass has not been set.  If they are red, the grade to pass is set but incorrectly.  Green means passed, red means failed, black means no grade to pass set.  So, in the image below, we have a bunch of completed scorm modules (with no passing grade) and a few passed quizzes (green) which, like yours have 10 points (but my passing is 7)

sample grades

If the quiz grades appear in black, click the Setup tab at the top of the grades page.  (By default, Grades opens on the tab circled in purple.  You click the tab in red ...

gradebook

Click Edit next to the quiz and choose Edit Settings.  Find the grade to pass and set it.Setting the grade to pass looks like this (you may need to click a Show more):

Grade to pass

Looking in the Completion Status report:  Does a check for the quiz show up in completion at all?  If a grade shows up in the grade book as passed (green) and no check shows up in Status, your quiz settings may need another check. quiz completion

This is how your quiz settings should look to report completion properly.

If all these things are set properly, you may have a cron issue?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)