Course Topics Format with just a tad more Jazz?

Course Topics Format with just a tad more Jazz?

by Paul Murray -
Number of replies: 5

Hello Moodlers

I have tried all kinds of course layouts. Some of them work better than others. What I usually find is that course layout plugin ABC displays 2 out of 3 courses correctly. And course plugin XYZ displays another 2 out of 3 courses correctly. The only thing that I have found so far that seems to work reliably across the board is the standard Moodle “Topics Format. It is not the prettiest thing in the world but I like the way it functions:

a) I have a page where I can see an overview of the topics
b) I can get to the topics on the left hand side using the menu.
c) I can move from topic to topic with left/right arrows
d) I have a little drop down menu at the bottom that lets me jump as well

If you look at the first screen shot it shows the course broken into modules.
I set this up here:
Home / ▶︎ Sample 01 / ▶︎ Edit settings
Under “Course format” by selecting “Format” = “Topics Format”
And under “Course layout” I have it set to “Show one selection per page”

If I understand this “Show one selection per page” per page correctly it will only show the top block.
In my case in I have the course broken in to sections each consisting of a “Video Block” & “Text Block”
Using the “Show one selection per page” method I can either:

Only show a Video preview or a text preview on the course overview page?
Is my reasoning correct?

Sure I can switch to “Show all sections on one page” and see everything all the time.
All I have to do is a lot of scrolling which is fine for 2/3 sections but what if I have 20-30 sections!
“Show one selection per page” is definitely what I want.

But I am concerned that:

If I only have the videos on the overview page some people might not realise that there is a description.
If I only have the text on the overview page some people might not realise that there is a video.

Am I being paranoid or is there some way to make it clearer that there is more to this that either text or video...

Maybe a “Read More” button or similar?
Preview thumbnails that only shows on the course overview page?
Some thing that screams there is more than just text/video here?

The second screen shot shows how the sections look with Video & Text.

(Actually I would prefer the text under the video. But have it set up this way as I am assuming that I can have the first block on the preview page! And if this is the case I would rather have the text on the preview page)

Any thoughts with respect to how to make this 100% idiot proof would be greatly appreciated.
For that matter anything at all that makes the formatting on the course overview page a little more intuitive and dare I say funkier?!?
http://www.finalbug.net/courses-fcpx-and-related-post-production-tools
Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance

Paul
Attachment MoodleCourseFormats002.jpg
Attachment MoodleCourseFormats003.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Murray

Re: Course Topics Format with just a tad more Jazz?

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

May be the new feature "User Tours" can add value to your site.

If you use moodle 3.2, its already a core feature.

For 3.0 or 3.1, user the plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/local_usertours

In reply to Guido Hornig

by Paul Murray -
Hello Rick, Guido & any one else who might be reading this.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Inserting, RSS feeds or building a course preview or similar are all well and good.
But fact remains that I am trying to get a course about “Animated 3D Text” to look a little more interesting than it does now.

Maybe there is some one in here with a “Topics Format” that has found a way to make it look a little more appealing!

I write a Blog with a Joomla Component.
And one of the options I have on it is to have  a header image.
I can then set this in the settings to.

a) Show up at the top of the Blog article when I go to read it.  (First Screen Shot Below)

and/or

b) Show up on the Blog page with all other blog posts. (Second Screen Shot Below)

In this example I actually have the Blog header image only on the Blog page and another on the article page!

I love this kind of functionality as it allows me to control the look of some thing more precisely.

As of now I am looking at either video or text on the Course Overview page or is the a more elegant way to do this?

I am pretty new to Moodle and I am pretty sure that I am missing all kinds of little tricks!

thanks in advance

Paul
Attachment Blog-Article-s28.jpg
Attachment Blog-On-Blog-Page-s28.jpg
In reply to Paul Murray

by Paul Murray -

Researching further I stumbled across this article here:

http://www.moodlenews.com/2016/on-choosing-a-course-format-in-moodle/

To end for now, a simple idea: think about learning goals and factors, then choose the course format, then populate it with the right content, activities and assessments. Many of the complaints from students about Moodle, including usability, friendliness and even ugliness are overblown. They do exist but dismiss the potency of Moodle as a tool for teaching.

This part in particular is music to my ears!

A canvas is not to blame for an uninspired painting. As Martin Dougiamas has mentioned in the past, the fault lies on the implementation.

In reply to Paul Murray

by Paul Murray -

Painting the canvas idea number 01

I insert a film strip view of the contents of the video above the text description of the video.

I think I could get this looking nicer it is just a mock up.
Two things bother me with this idea:
1) The horizontal scroll bar that appears. Even when the image does not need to be scrolled?

2) There is to the best of my knowledge no way to scale the image depending on the size/width of the browser?
Ironically i figured out how to scale the video but still also have scroll bars appearing.
No idea why?

Attachment painting-canvas-idea-01a-s33.jpg
Attachment painting-canvas-idea-01b-s33.jpg