Create restricted course "groups"

Create restricted course "groups"

by Jason Absolom -
Number of replies: 2

The application I have been asked to provide a solution for is for company training. I am evaluating the free online Moodle with the intent to implement on a company server

So far I have had no issues navigating the software and creating some demo courses but I am really struggling to understand user management to "courses" so I really hope someone can help me cut through the overwhelming amount of options.

To explain a little:

Lets say I have 3 groups of students I need completely separate courses for: 

Sales Staff
Technical Support Staff
Customers

I would like to create basically courses aimed at these 3 groups which in turn have a number of different lessons in each. When a user is created by an admin (myself) I would simply say they are one of these groups then they have access to all the courses within that group. The way it would look:

Sales Staff

--Product 1 Course
---Introduction
---Assessment
---Indepth Look
---Assessment

--Product 2 Course
---Introduction
---Assessment
---Indepth Look
---Assessment

Technical Support Staff

--Support Fundamentals
----Introduction
----Assessment
----Product 1 Support
----Assessment

Customers

--Product 1 Course
---Product Overview
---Assessment
---Training Course Level 1
---Assessment

--Product 2 Course
---Product Overview
---Assessment
---Training Course Level 1
---Assessment

Any simple way to create nice groups? 

In my test so far I started with "Courses" and created 3 course sections:

Sales Staff 
Technical Support Staff
Customers

With individual courses within each but I am unable to see how I can simply create access groups to each of the courses so I think I may have started kind of wrong. The content is just filler test content so I have not spent any time making actual courses, just trying to design the footprint. 

I have read up and watched a few videos around Groups/Grouping etc but this still seems confusing.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Absolom

Re: Create restricted course "groups"

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you looked at Cohorts?

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Create restricted course "groups"

by Jason Absolom -

Thanks for your reply

Funnily I started doing more research while waiting for an answer and have just tested this to find it's basically what I am looking for. I can now add a Cohorts enrolment method to courses and once a user is created I can add them to a Cohorts group to have them access the required material. 

So many options