Workshop feature request

Workshop feature request

by Dave Laurie -
Number of replies: 6

Hi there,

We've had some users request a variation in functionality for the workshop that doesn't seem to be currently possible. 

They would like to use the tool to have students rate each other's performance on something entirely separate from the submission of something into the workshop, eg. their performance as a part of a group or their delivery of a presentation in a F2F class. The instructor would simply skip the submission phase and switch directly to assessment once they had specified the schem for assessment (which is quite nice) and allocate the students for assessment however they want.

Would anyone else be interested in this functionality? Or do others know of any workarounds or sneaky ways we could make workshop do this for us?

Regards,
Dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Laurie

Re: Workshop feature request

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. If I have understood you correctly then you might like to vote for MDL-52191 (Allow workshop to assess without submission).

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dave Laurie -

You bet I do! (Missed that somehow in my searching...)

Voted.

Thanks for your time.

Dave

In reply to Dave Laurie

by Jean Slick -

My sense is that what is needed in Moodle is a peer assessment tool, and that the closest activity/resource that meets this need is the peer assessment feature in Moodle. So, yes, adapting workshop, and perhaps renaming it as a peer assessment tool with multiple levels of functionality (submission and non-submission) would be great.

Thanks,

Jean

In reply to Jean Slick

by Robert Brenstein -
I vaguely recall a module called exercise that was a simpler version of peer-assessment than workshop, which I think did such things. We are using the database module for such activities. It requires more work to set up but allows more customized approach. Just saying that there is a workabout. Having such a functionality in a workshop module would surely be nice.
In reply to Dave Laurie

by Jutta Wagner -

I've only just now tried my first example workshop as a teacher in the latest Teacing with Moodle MOOC, so I'm no expert, but...

My first thought is to have the students file a "submission" that only contains date and time of their respective performances. They could all do that as the very first part of the whole task, and the teacher could already have changed the workshop to assessment phase at the beginning of the actual presentation phase in class. So there is a submission from everyone, and peers can still fill in the assessment form based on a certain student's actual performance in class.

Just a workaround until you can simply have assessments without submissions...

In reply to Jutta Wagner

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes, that's the current way to do it. In fact, I think that what may appear in the future could be just a bit simpler way of doing the same: generating a dummy/empty submission record for each student.