Show course description as separate html, accessible by guests

Show course description as separate html, accessible by guests

by Ajith Kumar -
Number of replies: 3

I would like to allow guests access to the course description as a separate page, when clicking  on a button/link on the homepage which displays all courses.

I have tried enabling auto login guests and enabling guest access for the course, but it gives guests read only access to all data on the course.I want the guests to be able to see the course description page before deciding to enrol.

Tried giving both auto login and guest access to an entire course and restricting guest access to all topics other than the description, but this is not what i want to achieve and it is a long process that is rather inefficient when there are several courses. 

An idea i had was trying to embed whatever the user entered as course summary inside a html with predefined styles and linking it to the course summary on the homepage, but I was not able to do this as I'm still learning and rather new to php.

It would be great if someone can help me or guide me on the right path.

Thank you in advance,

Ajith.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ajith Kumar

Re: Show course description as separate html, accessible by guests

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Solution can be achieved by overriding the core course renderer in a bespoke theme and making the required changes to the appropriate methods.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ajith Kumar -

Very sorry for the late response and thank you for the help, I achieved the desire effect by modifying the renderer.php in the course folder and creating a  new page for displaying the description by fetching the name and summary directly from the database using the course id.

In reply to Ajith Kumar

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You could add a label to your frontpage that has a list of courses with links to individual pages (which you would also need to create) that have a description and then a link to the enrolment page.  It would be a manual process though.