Grid format and orphan activities

Grid format and orphan activities

by Michel DENIS -
Number of replies: 5

Hello Gareth and team,

I'm using the latest release of Grid on a Moodle 3.1, together with lots of orphan activities for creating nice "façades" to actual Moodle activities (which are place in an orphan section at the end of the course).

Problem is:

From a section I start an activity through its façade, then I get a button "Return to: (orphan section id)" which tries to returns me always to the orphan section, and as it is hidden I am actually returned to the beginning of the course. This behavior looks normal after all, but grid does not seem to work with orphans !

Question is:

Is there a way, or easy change of code, to change the behavior and return me instead to the section of the façade from which the orphan activity was called ?

Thanks in advance for your help, and kind regards,

-michel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michel DENIS

Re: Grid format and orphan activities

by Michel DENIS -

Hi,

After some more testing, it looks that it is the theme used, Essential, which brings these "Return (id of orphan section)" buttons to the pages. Using More for instance does not bring these buttons.

-michel

In reply to Michel DENIS

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Michel,

Good question.  Not really a bug with the Grid format or Essential theme as is more of a way of working.  This will take time to work out.  Time is money.

Kind regards,

Gareth

In reply to Michel DENIS

by Michael Schultz -

We also would like to have our learners return to the activity "facade" page as you describe it Michel. We are using grid format in conjunction with the campus theme and have the same issue wherein it returns our learners to the course page instead. I was wondering if you had found a workaround to have learners return to the activity facade page other than changing to another theme?

Thank you,

~Mike

In reply to Michael Schultz

by Michel DENIS -
Hi Michael,

In my special scenario I have moved to another course format ("buttons") together with some specific tricks, hence I have not tried any more with the "return to" button option that essential provides. I recommend to not use that "return to" button option with orphans/facades. What helps a bit too is also to use plugin Navigations Buttons, though only few of them get displayed.

Cheers,

-michel