[PIONEER] Errors on loading

[PIONEER] Errors on loading

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 27
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The main content part of the course is not loading. When you press F5 it will sometimes load a second time.

I am using the Tabtopics course format.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: [PIONEER] Errors on loading

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Was the course format working OK prior to this?

In reply to Mary Evans

Yes, it seems to work fine when I add &theme=clean

We switched from Essential and never had this problem before.

We experience this in Edge & Chrome on different machines and different connections...

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sounds like a Chrome CSS mismatch.

Will test it and see if I can replicate the problem.

Thanks

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Here is a problem...

( ! ) Strict standards: Declaration of format_tabtopics_renderer::section_hidden() should be compatible with format_section_renderer_base::section_hidden($sectionno, $courseorid = NULL) in C:\wamp64\wamp\www\moodle31\course\format\tabtopics\renderer.php on line 21
Call Stack
#   Time    Memory  Function    Location
1   0.0016  330056  {main}

egg

...\view.php:0
2   0.1336  9216824 require_once( 'C:\wamp64\wamp\www\moodle31\course\format\tabtopics\renderer.php' )  ...\view.php:130

by Mary Evans -

Hi

Oh by the way, you did not say which version of Moodle or Pioneer you are currently using?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Oops... Moodle 3.1 (Build: 20160523) and Pioneer v1.4.3.1 for Moodle v3.1 2016060700

Any fixes would be greatly appreciated....

by Mary Evans -

Replace this section (see link below) of your Moodle site ../course/format/tabtopics/renderer.php...

https://github.com/OohooDevTeam/moodle-format_tabtopics/blob/master/renderer.php#L111-L112

with this...

public function section_hidden($sectionno, $courseorid = NULL) {
        echo parent::section_hidden($sectionno, $courseorid = NULL);
    }

Save and then Purge all cache

It works OK on my test server...I dont get any JS errors so it may be some other plugin still in conflict.

Cheeers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

I changed this on my test-Moodle, purged all cache, but I still get the .js error.

Must be something different then. Dit you also have the radial completion and radial grade on your test course?

I hate these errors because they're not consistent. Sometimes it loads the content div, sometimes it doesn't. Since computers have no moods this makes no sense.

by Mary Evans -

What OS are you using? Windows or Mac?

Have you tried using FireFox Browser?

Also have you thought of enabling DEVELOPER mode in the Debugging settings?

Yes I have the radial grade showing in the Dashboard.

Have you changed any JS setting in Moodle?

In reply to Mary Evans

So far I've seen this behavior in both Edge and Chrome. 

I personally use Chrome, but that's not really important. Our students have their own laptops and use whatever browser they like. Just Internet Explorer is out of the question for me smile

I have not changed any JS setting in Moodle. Our Moodle is hosted by a third party, so I can not change core code.

Developer mode doesn't give any warnings or errors. Chrome Console shows this:

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What does clicking on require.js:15 show in terms of information?  That could point to the specific line of JS (possibly in an AMD module) that is causing the issue.

Mismatched anonymous define() module errors are described here: http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#mismatch.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -

Gareth,

Could this be something to do with it?

https://github.com/lazydaisy/moodle/blob/MOODLE_31_STABLE/lib/yui/build/moodle-core-dock/moodle-core-dock.js#L1529

refers to event keys in relation to web-kit and Internet Explorer.

Just a thought as I am clueless when it comes to JS

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

To be honest Mary, I don't know.  I'm still learning JS too and don't have the Pioneer theme installed to replicate the error.

by Mary Evans -

Well the only thing I discovered when using IE11 (possibly same in Chrome) is that there is no page scroller, so on first look the page looks dead and you only see the top of the course page. I have a scroller om my mouse so it works OK but if you are used to dragging the side scroller up and down you may be foxed into thinking that the page is not loading.

That's my theory...unless it is something to do with the way the Pioneer theme is made? It's hard to say really.

M

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

When you say that the page content does not load, do you mean you do not see a scrollbar?

I just tested this in IE11 and unlike Firefox, the IE11 page has no scroller. However you can scroll the page to see the lower half of the page using the up/down arrow keys, or your mouse if you hover over the side that the scroller is usually on (right side) then the scroller appears and enables you to view the rest of the page.

Just curious?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Hi Mary,

The main content pane doesn't load. So I can see everything, except for the course content. Pressing F5 usually fixes it. The second time it loads, most of the time the content loads.

But even then sometimes you can keep pressing reload and it still won't load.

Does that answer the question?

Gareth, is this the information you're requesting?

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Richard, yes it is, it might have helped but has not, worth a try though in the debugging process.  Try the "require.js:34" line and see if that is the anonymous function.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Worth noting:

TabTopics course format is not supported past Moodle2.6 (https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=format_tabtopics)

While Pioneer is not supported before Moodle2.9 (https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=theme_pioneer)

This probably means that the two have never been tested together even if TabTopics does happen to work on Clean. It also means that TabTopics is possibly not loading JS in the currently recommended manner (haven't checked that for sure though), which could cause a potential clash with some themes or other plugins.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

Yep, it's like ham & eggs... at some point nobody tried it together but it tastes good smile

Is there an alternative to tabtopics? We use it in all our courses...

by Richard Oelmann -

Ive just installed the OneTopic format - also Tabs based, but supported and developed through 3.1

I see, I have tried this as well. But it doesn't look nice and I tried styling it with CSS... but that's not easy.

My students are used to tabs, not plain text next to each-other... real tabs give the impression that you are actually clicking on different layers on top of each-other, so there should be some different colors.

It should look something like this:

I found extra information concerning this:

It only occurs when radial grade and radial activity completion is enabled. When I disable this, the page will always load completely.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Does that generate a donut chart?  If so, then from memory I think it is generated by JS, thus could have an issue as shown by the error.

by Richard Oelmann -

It does (create a donut chart) and it is using JS (and even worse than that, the JS is inline in the layout file so not using proper JS loading techniques, let alone AMD).

I will look at adapting the code further to implement it more fully in the proper ways - although in mitigating circumstances, one of the advantages when i first 'borrowed' the original was the fact that everything - layout, less and JS was all in one file for portability (as always, credit to the original author but bugs in work Ive done - I take responsibility for smile ). But, it now becomes apparent, has the unfortunate problem of clashing with other things that do not load the JS properly.

So I now know what my next bit of learning is going to be - migrating this JS into AMD :D

Thanks Richard, for your work, effort, time, etc.

We are very happy with Pioneer so far. And ofcourse I have a lot of wishes for other features, but I won't bother you with those smile

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Let me know what you come up with.  I am following the new default theme that they are working on.  I think shortly after M3.2 is released I am going to see if we can take that and blend some of the features Pioneer offers in that format.  I've always wanted a single page layout.