Please explain advantages of Moodle forums vs Discussion Boards

Please explain advantages of Moodle forums vs Discussion Boards

by Erin Cox-Holmes -
Number of replies: 4

I am currently teaching an online course which has just transitioned to moodle. In the communities I administer I'm a dedicated user of bulletin board software--vbulletin in particular.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the moodle forums, and am finding them more cumbersome to use, with many fewer controls and features.

Could some of you proficient moodle users and developers help me to understand why you'd pick a moodle forum over a "traditional" bulletin board? I'm willing to learn!

thanks,

Erin Cox-Holmes
www.kiskipby.org

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erin Cox-Holmes

Re: Please explain advantages of Moodle forums vs Discussion Boards

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
For several years I used forums and wanted more functionality directly related to education and I found that in Moodle. Moodle gives you forums and other educational related tools such as quizes, journals, and the lesson modules which gives you the delivery of content that depends on the answers given to previous questions.

I suspect that the best forum software may be more featurful than the Moodle forum system, but the moodle system is specifically designed around education and is thus general preferable in teaching. I have found the moodle underlying source code easier to work with than most of the forum software I have looked at.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Erin Cox-Holmes -

Thanks Marcus...

My experience, with the one course I've taught (distance learning for training commissioned lay pastors) is that the overall advantage of the integration of all the modules is substantive, but that it comes with the trade-off that the forums (discussions) seem rather primitive.

For old hand users, what about the forum module that you want to applaud as being noteworthy?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Erin,

Moodle forums enable posts to be rated using a custom scale, by everyone or just by the teacher. Ratings may be made available for everyone to see or just for the student to see.

As forums are an integral part of Moodle, they are continually being developed in response to user feedback. Please check the Developer Wiki NewForum. Perhaps you'd like to contribute to Moodle forums development?

by Steve Hyndman -

Erin,

You are right, Moodle forums do have far fewer controls than you have with vbulletin. If I were choosing between Moodle and vbulletin based ONLY on the discussion board features there would be no contest...vbulletin wins hands-down...as does phpBB...BUT, you have to remember...vbulletin and phpBB are only discussion boards...that's all they do (other than maybe a calendar and some other "bell and whistle" add ons)...they are not LMSs.

The discussion board is only one feature of Moodle. The reason I use the Moodle discussion forums is because I like the Moodle LMS package...overall, it's a very nice LMS...the best open source one available, in my opinion. Bottom line for me is that I'm willing to "live with" the limited capabilities of the Moodle discussion boards for the advantage of doing all my class activities in one system. It's a pain to use Moodle for part of your class activities and another program like vbulletin for discussions...I've tried it and it was more work for me and more confusion for my students. 

Now...if you don't want or need an LMS and you only need a discussion board, then, in my view, I would go with phpBB since it's open source and is just as good as vbulletin.

Steve