Moodle denying access to course content

Moodle denying access to course content

by Scott Burnett -
Number of replies: 3

Hello fellow Moodlers,

I have come across an interesting problem that I am not sure how to handle. I have a workplace violence course that a learner has self-enrolled into. The course materials settings, as far as I know, do not restrict access to anything once a learner has enrolled into the course. However, one of my learners can self-enroll but then can only access the first section. They are not hidden. It shows that the current course is not open to students, even though she is enrolled. I have switched my profile role to student and can access everything like she should be able to. What is going on? Is there a setting I should be looking for? Also, as far as I know, this is the first person to have this issue.

Thanks

Scott

V. 3.1 utilizing a shoehorn theme.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Burnett

Re: Moodle denying access to course content

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Might you ask to student to visit with you and then try logging in from your computer?  Alternatively, maybe you can change the student's password and log in as this student.  If successful, it must be something that the student is doing from their own computer.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Scott Burnett -

Hello Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I will try these steps. I am the ID on the project, the teacher showed me that they are having the same issue as well. They have teacher access and they receive the message that it is not open to students. But they are not a student. So now I am doubly confused on this.

In reply to Scott Burnett

by Lesli Smith -

Is the start date set in the future, perhaps? Or is the enrollment start date set to turn on in the future for the folks who maybe are enrolling "early." Sometimes this can be a start date issue either for the course or for the enrollment method chosen--the teachers get this notification that students cannot access the course yet as it is supposed to remind them to adjust their start dates and/or date restrictions on sections or enrollment methods, etc.

Edit: Also, I agree with Rick that for access issues you really need to log in as the specific user as the "switch role to" function will not show you restrictions that might be specific to that person's enrollment method, etc. (ie. if you have dates or access for x number of days set up for a specific user enrollment, that will not display for the generic "switch role" quick look at student visibility). Do you have the loginas another user function available to you from that student's profile? Are you in a site manager role or site admin role on the site? This will give you a better view of what the student is actually seeing.