Meta courses to aid enrollment

Meta courses to aid enrollment

by Conor Bradley -
Number of replies: 2

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on my imagined use case for meta courses.

Say I've got a college course for students - English 101 (shortcode ENG101) which has three moodle courses of content that they need to complete as part of the English 101 course e.g.

• English 101: Parent (ENG101)
    • English 101: Spoken
    • English 101: Written
    • English 101: Reading

I'd like to use our external database system to manage the enrollment for the courses by automatically enrolling students into a meta course called English 101: Parent . Students should then be automatically enrolled into the three linked courses.

My issue is that the English 101: Parent meta course actually has no content, it's all contained within the linked courses (Spoken, Written, Reading). I wondered whether it would be possible to make the English 101: Parent meta course hidden so that students can't see or access it but it will still pass their enrollment info onto the other three courses. 

Reading the moodle documentation on meta courses I'm not sure whether this is possible. Does anyone have any advice?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Conor Bradley

Re: Meta courses to aid enrollment

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I haven't tried it with the course itself hidden, but it works if you put the parent course into a hidden category (at least the university I've just joined have apparently been doing it that way for the last few years smile ). Previously, I left them available with large icon links to each 'child' course, because that was the course-code the students were expecting to see on their dashboard page - but that's simply a function of how our student records->moodle link functioned in my previous university smile

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: Meta courses to aid enrollment

by Conor Bradley -

Thanks for the post Richard, a hidden category sounds like the solution I'm looking for. Many thanks.