How to check the size of all the files on the platform

How to check the size of all the files on the platform

by Gosia Kuc -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I'm using 2.7.7+

i would like to know if there is a possibility to check the size of all courses and files on the platform via Site administration menu.

I have admin rights but I have no access to ftp.

Thank you,

Gosia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gosia Kuc

Re: How to check the size of all the files on the platform

by Just H -

To get a rough idea you could try https://moodle.org/plugins/report_coursesize.

In reply to Just H

Odp: Re: How to check the size of all the files on the platform

by Gosia Kuc -

Thank you ! 

quite useful.

How to access the files of the people?

In reply to Gosia Kuc

Re: Odp: Re: How to check the size of all the files on the platform

by Just H -

No idea sorry; I haven't actually used the plugin I linked to, I just remembered reading about it and when I read your post thought it might help a little.

In reply to Gosia Kuc

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not an expert on this, but if someone is doing a backup of your moodle database, and your moodledata folder, you can ask them how big these files are.

If your courses are using links to external resources, do you want this including in your calculations?

In reply to Gosia Kuc

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

There is no built in tool for viewing/finding info you seek.   On could install customized sql query tool then build your own query to see/find the info.

For a place to start, use this query from the MySQL command line prompt or from phpMyAdmin or from any tool you have to interact directly with the DB for your Moodle:

select contenthash,filename,filearea,filesize from `mdl_files` where (`filesize` not like "0");

*CAUTION* ... the query is 'heavy' and will take time to gen what it finds.   I use Webmin as a tool for backended admin of servers, etc.. and have an SQL button built using the above query for my purposes.   It takes a loooooong time to gen ... memory intensive ... so best not to use during 'primetime' usage by users.

When it does finish in Webmin, the columns are clickable and I can sort by the data in that column.   Enables seeing large multiple backups which could be removed from the system via Moodle Admin UI.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Gosia Kuc -

Thank you very much for your help.

In reply to Ken Task

by Gosia Kuc -

Thank you very much for your help.