not modified SQL version of Moodle 3.1 site?

not modified SQL version of Moodle 3.1 site?

by Lorin Mc Auley -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, I've just created our company's first MoodleCloud site and we decided to transfer it to a hosted server. I have just received this message from the new hosting company's technical IT support:

"I regret to inform you that despite our numerous efforts we were not able to complete the transfer because the database associated with the website is a PostgreSQL which is a modified sql version which is not available on our shared hosting servers. If you could provide us with a not modified SQL version of the database we would be more than glad to proceed with configuring your website on our server."

1. I don't know what this means including after Googling it!

2. More importantly, is there a way to create a 'not modified SQL version'?

Any help much appreciated,

Lorin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lorin Mc Auley

Re: not modified SQL version of Moodle 3.1 site?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have no idea what they're talking about either. However, I think that's probably because this is thinly veiled nonsense. I suspect that they are just saying that they do not support the PostgreSQL database server (which must be used for the moodlecloud site). While it's possible to translate SQL dialects for a different database server it's not something I would recommend. 

If you don't have too many courses, it may be a lot easier to create a new Moodle and transfer the courses using Moodle's backup and restore. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Lorin Mc Auley -
Thanks very much. So if I understand correctly, you are suggesting that we create a new Moodle (effectively a skeleton site) on the hosted server, and then try to transfer the courses from the moodlecloud one. I thought that's what the technician had already tried to do but he no doubt instead tried to transfer the whole site.

Would you recommend any particular  version of Moodle for the new site? i.e should I stick with 3.1 or go with an earlier version.
In reply to Lorin Mc Auley

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes - if you can't transfer the whole site then create an empty site and use backup/restore. You will probably have to do this yourself but it's boring more than difficult. 

I would recommend the latest, stable version - i.e., 3.1.