Moodle will not issue Badges to users (using 2.9.4)

Moodle will not issue Badges to users (using 2.9.4)

by Travis Grubert -
Number of replies: 3

Hello;

I've used Moodle for a while, but only recently started using Badges (was previously using a rather clunky script based certificate).  I've successfully set them up for 2 of my online courses based on quiz activities (criteria set to achieving a passing grade), and they work great.

I started setting up badges for all of my courses, and ran into a problem with issuing a Badge for a Quiz activity.  I'm fairly certain I've set the criteria correctly (having done so for the quizzes in 2 other courses), but no badges have been issued. 

To summarize:

Badge Criteria tab

- Activity completion checked off as quiz 1

- 'This criterion is complete when' radio button selected to All of the selected activities are complete

Edit Settings of Quiz 1

- 'Grade category' is Uncategorized (same as the other courses I've set badges for)

- 'Grade to pass' is set to 65

- 'Activity Completion' is checked as 'Require passing grade'

When I enable access for the Badge, nothing happens (0 recipients).  I've tried re-calculating the grades, switching the Badge criteria to something else and back to Quiz 1 again, and I've run cron through URL for general clean up.

I'm stumped, and would really like to get past this.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Travis

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Travis Grubert

Re: Moodle will not issue Badges to users (using 2.9.4)

by Travis Grubert -

Hello;

As a follow up to my initial topic, I just ran the Activity Completion report, and it seems like none of the over 5000 students who have done this quiz have been marked as complete.  This is strange, because the average grade for this quiz is in the higher 90 percentile. 

So, now I know the symptom, but not the root cause.  Why did this happen, and how can I correct it?  Most of my students have received more than the minimum passing grade, so there must be some other setting I'm unaware of. 

Thanks,

Travis

by Travis Grubert -

I found a work around.  I don`t know the root cause of the problem as to why Moodle wasn`t assigning completion activity for this quiz.  However, through some experimentation, I found that if I checked an additional item under Activity Completion for the Quiz (in this case `Require Grade`) it forced a recalc and assigned the completion property to completed quizzes.  Then I removed the `Require Grade` option, leaving me just with `Require Passing Grade`.  Finally, I rebuilt the badge and enabled access.  Success!

I do wish I knew why Moodle did not correctly assign completion in the first place, though.  Any thoughts?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

My guess would be that something didn't quite take because they had already taken the quiz prior to you setting the completion setting.