Email on course completion?

Email on course completion?

by Will B -
Number of replies: 11

Hi all,

I want an email to be sent to an account once a student has completed a course.  I will set this up through activity completion and once all assignments are passed and the course is listed as complete, then a completion notification is sent via an email.

Is this actually possible? If not, are there any other workarounds to achieve this functionality?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Will B

Re: Email on course completion?

by Just H -

Haven't used it but perhaps Event Monitoring could work for you.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Just H

by Zeid Fanous -

Thank you smile, I  am also looking for something similar. once they complete the required criteria. the simply get an email. one way, would be to award badges maybe 

In reply to Will B

by Rivv Smith -

Did you ever figure this out?

I cant seem to find any way to send an email on completion.

If you have any advice let me know

Cheers

rivv

In reply to Rivv Smith

by Will B -

Hi,

On later versions of Moodle (2.7 onwards, I belive) you can use Event Monitoring as mentioned above.  If this is enabled, it allows you to create event triggers for specific courses.  Once enabled, go to your desired course and within the course administration panel select "reports".  Then from the drop down list select "Event monitoring rules".  If you "Add a new rule" you will be prompted with a form to create a new event.  For the area to monitor field you want to choose "Core" and then "Course completed".  This then sends an email to (I believe) the teacher of the course.  It sent me the following email:

Rule name: Course Completed

Description:

Test Course Completed

Event name: Course completed

I stopped testing it after this as it didn't actually tell me who had completed the course.  It's something I really need to look at though and get working.

PS: I've read that it slows your website down tremendously, so I'd do testing.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Will B

by Rivv Smith -

Hi Mate,

I found the same problem with the event monitor function, I worked around it creating a report that gets emailed.

I posted it on here since I found alot of posts asking the same thing and no replies or unhelpful ones.

See if this will help you:  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=336731

Cheers

Rivv

In reply to Rivv Smith

by Douglas Walker -

Hi,

I tried Rivv Smith's solution using ad-hoc custom SQL reporting and it works great when I run the query 'On-demand', but when I enter the username to email a scheduled report to an Admin or Manger with permission to view, I get the following error - Error when executing the query: Invalid user SELECT id FROM {user} WHERE id IS NULL AND deleted = ? [array ( 0 => 0, )]

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Douglas.

In reply to Douglas Walker

by Rivv Smith -

Hey mate,

Just to get this right,

Are you saying that the report works fine when run on demand but fails when it is automated?

And looking at that error, it is quoting a syntax issue on a line that doesn't exist in the script I had in the link above.

Are you sure you aren't setting up the auto email on the wrong script?

Of course if you are using a different script then I'd need to see the whole thing to see where its falling over.

Cheers

Rivv

In reply to Rivv Smith

by Douglas Walker -

Hi Rivv,

Yes, the report runs successfully on demand and when scheduled. The error only occurs when I enter a username in the 'Automatically email to' field.

The report is simply a copy and paste of yours, without changes and the error is displayed as if a syntax issue in the 'Query SQL' field, when I click save changes, but the error seems to suggest the recipient of the email is an 'Invalid user'.

Email for Custom SQL Reports is set to 'Permitted' in message outputs and email appears to be working normally on the site.

Thanks,

Douglas.

In reply to Will B

by Sophia Lilly -

Hi, I am using Moodle 2.7, is there a similar way to send email to teachers once the course is completed by a student?

In reply to Sophia Lilly

by Zeid Fanous -

Hi Sophia, 

I think the plugin Event Reminder can be useful. Event Monitoring was introduced in Moodle 2.8...that is what i know of smile.

Zeid