Moodle 3.1+ | Clicking collapsed items in nav menu doesn't work correctly

Moodle 3.1+ | Clicking collapsed items in nav menu doesn't work correctly

by Jeff Noel -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

I recently upgraded my 3.0.3 intsallation to 3.1+.

When I'm at the homepage, my navigation menu (site admin) works fine. When I'm anywhere else, where a menu item is already expanded, it seems like trying to expand another item is impossible. It flips the small arrow beside the item, but the submenu doesn't show up, or sometimes another unrelated submenu opens.

I tried switching my theme to the base one, to see if recent changes in my theme could cause the issue, but it's still happening in the base theme!

Running on IIS 7 with PHP 5.6.22.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Noel

Re: Moodle 3.1+ | Clicking collapsed items in nav menu doesn't work correctly

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Change to the Clean theme, purge the caches (Site admin > Development) and try again.

Failing that, do you have optional plugins? Disable / remove them - especially if they are obscure or you're not sure that they are compatible with 3.1. See if that helps

In reply to Jeff Noel

by Linda Lewis -

Hi Jeff,

Have you found a solution to this problem?  We just upgraded from moodle 2.92 to 3.1 this morning and are experiencing the same issue.  I cleared all the system cache and tried moving from the More theme to the Clean theme and it didn't help.  We're using:

moodle 3.1+ (Build: 20160623)

PHP 5.5.30

IIS 7

If we don't find a solution quickly, we're going to have to go back to moodle 2.92.  Any help would be appreciated.

Linda

In reply to Linda Lewis

by Linda Lewis -

I made a mistake in my post.  We were upgrading from 2.9.5, not 2.9.2.  We ended up reverting the server to 2.9.5 and then upgrading to 3.0.4+ and we did not have the problem with the menus.  We will try upgrading to 3.1 again next week and see if the problem reoccurs.

In reply to Linda Lewis

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

From the posts on the tracker Gareth linked to above, this appears to be a specific 3.1 bug, not yet fixed.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Looks like a workaround is to disable the 'linkadmincategories' setting.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Sam Stevens -

Wasn't enabled for me. I've tried enabling and disabling but no joy. Still happens.

Wonder if this is something specific about upgrading from 2.9 to 3.1. Has anyone reached 3.1 from another way and had this? Also anyone know if they go 2.9 - 3.0 - 3.1 does that make any difference?

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Linda Lewis -

We upgraded from 2.9.5 to 3.0 and had no problem.  But when we went from 3.0 to 3.1 the problem reappeared.

In reply to Linda Lewis

by Jeff Noel -
Hi Linda,

Still no solution on my side. I'll wait and see if the bug linked by Garreth is fixed soon. We were supposed to push 3.1 in production by July fifth here. 

We will probably stay on 2.9.5 for a while.

In reply to Jeff Noel

by Linda Lewis -

Thanks Jeff.  We were able to go to 3.0 without the problem.  But still no luck getting to 3.1.  I guess we'll have to hold at 3.0 until this is fixed.  We really want to use the competency stuff in 3.1 so hopefully it won't take long.