Moving settings out moodle.php

Moving settings out moodle.php

by koen roggemans -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Moodle.php holds some settings, wich should (since they are settings) not be translated. I'm talking about the strings thischaracterset, thislanguage, thisdirection, parentlanguage, locale, strftime...(11 settings) and firstdayofweek.

Regularly those stringnames or the settings for English get translated by hard working translators instead of entering the right setting.

I wonder if it would be much work for the developers to move the call to those setting to somewhere else but moodle.php, eg to langsettings.php, where all those settings, specific for a language, could reside. That way it would be clear to new and existing translators what NOT to translate and it would make life easier for the translation coordinator to follow up if those settings are still correct clown.

Coding guys, please give some thoughts.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to koen roggemans

Re: Moving settings out moodle.php

by Julian Lilio II -
I agree with Koen... first time I translated moodle.php, I got confused too.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Yes, you are right. Forgot about that (probably not only me smile ) Thank you for pointing that out.
So it's been since last may I cleaned out every language pack. I believe there were 5 or 6 broken again since then by that issue ...
In reply to koen roggemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yeah I had forgotten too, I'll make sure it gets done soon.

We should keep them in moodle.php as well for backward compatibility with old Moodles.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by koen roggemans -
Hm, true. That minimizes the improvement then. And adding a "require settings.php" in moodle.php looks a little too dirty...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Robert Brenstein -
I hope that the local language extension feature is not forgotten either. It was discussed in the same thread. We are waiting for it eagerly smile