Errors when installing Moodle 3.1

Errors when installing Moodle 3.1

by Lloyd D -
Number of replies: 5

When I try and install Moodle 3.1 onto my local server (latest version of XAMPP) I get multiple warnings and an error which prevent me from finishing the installation. Does anyone know what the issue could be? I can get the installation to work on an older version of XAMPP but I need it to work on the latest if possible. I however get different problems when using Moodle when using an older version..so I'd like to see if all problems would to disappear if I'd run Moodle on the newest version of XAMPP. 

Attachment Capture.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lloyd D

Re: Errors when installing Moodle 3.1

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'd guess you need a later version of the database. Note that the version numbers are like stand alone numbers not decimals, so 5.5.31 is bigger than 5.5.5.10.2.13. (I used to read .3 as point 3 rather than the start of 31) After many years of XAMPP I moved to Wamp for testing a while ago as it supported PHP7 which is the future, otherwise a very similar product.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Lloyd D -

Yeah I tried Wamp, allowed me to finish the installation but still had those warnings appearing :/ the reason why I'm trying different versions of XAMPP and Wamp was that Moodle won't let me install any plugin! no matter whether using XAMPP or Wamp! I have no idea why it won't let me :/ I posted about this issue if you want to have a look at it:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=154988#p1347564

In reply to Lloyd D

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Your other post appears to indicate that you have large numbers of files and folders missing under /mod/assign

In reply to Marcus Green

by Lloyd D -

Hi again Marcus, I've been trying to install Moodle on the newest and previous 2 versions of XAMPP but no luck mixed is there some issue installing Moodle 3.1+ on the latest versions? And I'm using a 64-bit PC if that makes any difference?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Lloyd D -

I hadn't realised but XAMPP ships MariaDB instead of MySQL...? I was specifying mysql on the database setup page mixed so problem solved I guess >< I get warnings on the installation page though saying that soap services intl are not enabled?