Quiz with essay answers - grading second attempt

Quiz with essay answers - grading second attempt

by Vincent Vogelaar -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

We're using a quiz in Moodle 3.0 where the student answers a number of open ended (i.e. essay) questions. Once submitted, the teacher grades it manually. If the student does not reach the pass mark, a second attempt is allowed (through a user override) where the second attempt builds on the last. This means that the student can see what they answered the first time and they can review the comments made by the teacher. This all works perfectly.

The problem is that when the teacher regrades the second attempt, it doesn't show any information from the first grading. Ideally, I would like the teacher to see the comments and points that were provided during grading of the first attempt.

Can anyone tell me if this is at all possible in Moodle?

Cheers

Vincent

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Vincent Vogelaar

Re: Quiz with essay answers - grading second attempt

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Have you tried this?

If ‘Grade: Attempts allowed=2’ AND ‘Each attempt builds on the last =Yes’, Then each new attempt contains the results of the previous attempt. 

This allows the student on the new attempt to concentrate on just those questions that were answered incorrectly on the previous attempt (no more randomization)

In reply to William Lu

Re: Quiz with essay answers - grading second attempt

by Omar Taj -

Hello, I'd like to echo Vincent's question as well.

Thank you very much for the tip William but doing so only carries over a student's previous answer into the next attempt. The problem is that when marking the student's second or third attempt, teachers are unable to see which answer they previously marked correct or incorrect or the comments that they wrote. So the teacher will have to mark all of the answers again - or open the previous attempt in a new tab and then switch back and forth between previous and current attempt.

So is that the only way then?