mdl_user_devices table doesn't show Android device

mdl_user_devices table doesn't show Android device

by Basem Wahba -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

mdl_user_devices table shows successfully two devices:

What may be the reason(s) that prevent below device from not being showed in the table:

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Moodle 3.1+ (Build: 20160526)

Moodle Mobile 3.1.0

Android 4.0.4

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Basem Wahba

Re: mdl_user_devices table doesn't show Android device

by Basem Wahba -

Hi,

Below table summaries the status of real Android devices registering in mdl_user_devices table:

device name     installed android version    device registered?
Samsung GT-I9152    4.2.2    Yes
Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50LC    5.1    Yes
Sony Xperia ST18i    4.0.4    No

I really need help here. May you please help me discover why a device may not be registered?

Is it a device model issue, or android version issue, or other?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Attachment 2016-06-07_12-59-43.jpg
Attachment 2016-06-07_13-00-45.jpg
In reply to Basem Wahba

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

it may be a bug in the Push notifications plugin we use. 

Please note that the app is an hybrid app and we use the Ionic framework among Cordova plugins for developing.

In this case, if the device is not being registered I'd recommend:

- Try with a different user account and different role (for example, a student) to check if is a permission issue

- If with a different user account doesn't work, it may be a problem related to the Push plugin for that Android version (that is quite old)

I think the problem is with the Android version, 4.0.4 seems to be old (there are some references to Android in the plugin doc https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugin-push/blob/master/docs/INSTALLATION.md#minsdkversion--14)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Basem Wahba -

Dear Juan,

Thank you very much for your reply. It really helped so much. And also pushed me to do some experiment during the previous two days.

1. Different user account with/without different role; does not change results. The same real device -above- did not registered in mdl_user_devices table.
  2. I tried using Android virtual devices (7 different devices) with different Android versions (4.1.1 - 4.2.2 - 4.3 - 4.4.4 - 5.0.0 - 5.1.0 - 6.0.0). All of them were not registered.

3. For the real device I have used above, I have upgraded its Android version from 4.0.4 to 6.0.1 The device registered successfully in mdl_user_devices table.

What I need is to inform my Android users the minimum requirements to use moodle mobile official app (or custom app) in terms of Android version.

Till this moment, the following table summarizes my results (I don't have KitKat):

device name  android version number android version name device registered?
 Sony Xperia ST18i
 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich No
 Samsung GT-I9152 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Yes
 KitKat
 Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50LC 5.1 Lollipop Yes
 Sony Xperia ST18i
 6.0.1 Marshmallow Yes

Can we say that the minimum requirement for using moodle mobile official app latest version (3.1.0) is a device with Android version 4.1?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards  

In reply to Basem Wahba

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes,

I'd say that 4.1 is totally correct.

Juan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)