Site Admin - Permissions - Assign user roles to cohort

Site Admin - Permissions - Assign user roles to cohort

by Luke Wilson -
Number of replies: 5

I am using Moodle 3.1 and I am having some troubles using the Site Admin - Permissions - Assign user roles to cohort function.

I am able to select users however only 2 roles appear and the Cohort drop down appears blank.

I am using an autoenrol cohort plugin that creates a cohort based on a users profile field. If the cohort already exists the user is assigned to the cohort. 

This is the last step to my integration! We have users being created via are LDAP Authentication. 

I am using a separate plugin to add cohort members to group as they self enrol into course. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment Capture.PNG
Attachment Capture2.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luke Wilson

Re: Site Admin - Permissions - Assign user roles to cohort

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Does the section on user context in the documentation Assign roles help?

Remember that these are user-context roles, and so for them to appear in the drop down they need to have "User" ticked as the context type.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Regarding the cohort drop down appearing blank, please note that only cohorts which currently exist can be listed. Thus, although the autoenrolcohort plugin can create cohorts if necessary, it may be best to bulk create all cohorts beforehand. Please see the documentation Cohorts for more details.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Luke Wilson -

Thanks Helen,

I had a thought that the auto-enrol creation of the cohort might be affecting my ability to later choose this from the 'assign user roles to cohort'. However, after creating a manual cohort it was noted that it also wasn't appearing. 

Thanks again for your feedback, please let me know if you have any other ideas. 

Regards

Luke 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luke Wilson -

Thanks Mary for your reply.

I am trying to integrate and automate as many processes  as possible.

I have a number of profile fields coming into Moodle from our Active Directory and from these fields my Cohorts are automatically created. 

Unfortunately I cannot bring in a 'role' with the plugin that I am using - just assign to a cohort.

Not being able to assign roles at cohort level (not system level) means that I have to go into each course and assign roles at course level. I have about 50 courses at the moment so it will take a long time in comparison to simply assigning user roles to cohort. I can do this at category level as well however it will still require additional work.

This is very frustrating as the option is there but not working.

Thanks again for your time and please let me know if you have any other ideas.

In reply to Luke Wilson

by Luke Wilson -

Thanks for your support on this matter.

I have found the solution - the cohort autoenrol plugin (https://moodle.org/plugins/auth_mcae) that I used was not uplaoding Cohort ID - just the Cohort Name. I have sicne updated my cohorts with id's and it is working fine. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)