Mexican Spanish (es_mx) Language Pack Missing parent language

Mexican Spanish (es_mx) Language Pack Missing parent language

by Germán Vitale -
Number of replies: 4

I am not sure if this is a bug.

The Mexican Spanish (es_mx) Language Pack, has not parent language defined. 

Should it be set to "es" (International Spanish)?

Currently, the Mexican Spanish (es_mx) Language Pack inherits missing texts from English (en) Language Pack.

That settings can be found in the file langconfig.php: 

$string['parentlanguage'] = '';

This is a related ticket in moodle core tracker:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLSITE-2746

I know that this can be edited in each moodle site in "Language customisation", but it is strange that the mexican language pack has no "international spanish" as a parent language by default.

I attached the langconfig.php file from es_mx pack.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Germán Vitale

Re: Mexican Spanish (es_mx) Language Pack Missing parent language

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Germán,

I don't think that the Mexican Spanish (es_mx) language pack needs a parent language since it is very often 100% translated (see https://download.moodle.org/langpack/3.1/) thanks to the hard work of language pack maintainer German and contributors.

The issue that you mention - MDLSITE-2746 - related only to the front page of moodle.org, in particular the list of useful posts which display in Spanish for visitors with es or es_mx set as their language in their browser.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Germán Vitale -

Thanks for your reply, Helen. 

We are creating new plugins. We want to cover English and Spanish languages. For Spanish, we use the "es" pack (International Spanish), in order to cover all Latinamerican countries. I know that Venezuelan Spanish (es_ve) has International Spanish as its parent language. I was surprised that Mexico (es_mx) doesn't have International Spanish as its parent language. Will this be the case for other Spanish speaking countries? Is there a rule regarding this?

Thanks.

In reply to Germán Vitale

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Germán.

I am the language maintainer for the Mexican Spanish language.

The Mexican Spanish language does not need a parent language, and it has been so for a long time smile

The current Moodle 3.1 English language pack (3 MB) has 33313 strings (core + all plugins).

Currently the es_mx language pack (2.7 MB) has 551 English strings missing translation in AMOS smile

While the es language pack (1.3 MB) has 8201 English strings missing translation sad

So, the Moodle 3.1 Mexican Spanish language pack is more than twice as large/complete/detailed/thorough (2.7 versus 1.3 MB) as the international Spanish language pack.

As for the CORE language strings, the es_mx has 100% core strings translated for Moodle 3.1 while the es language pack has 91% core strings translated.

Therefore, I think that the logical choice would be that the es language pack used the es_mx as its parent language, so that the Spain and SouthAmerican users would have a Mexican Spanish translation instead of defaulting to the English language strings. But that is my personal opinion and maybe some Spanish language purists might object to using Mexican local expressions in Spain or South America, just as some Mexican University Moodle admins in the past objected to using Spain local expressions in México (and decided instead to make and expand the es_mx language pack).

If you are in Argentina, and you use a decimal comma, I think you would be better served by using the es language pack and configuring your local lagconfig file for the es language pack to use es_mx as the parent language for es. That way you would have the language that you are used to, plus some Mexican-Spanish translations (instead of 'English defaults') that are not yet available in your usual language.

Of course, you can easily install both Spanish language packs and see for yourself. You are more likely to see many differences in the new Moodle 3.1 features. I have been writing and updating most of the Spanish documentation for Moodle 2.6 and newer, and there are many features that have not yet been translated into the international spanish language pack.

The main point in choosing either international Spanish or Mexican Spanish is what character you use for decimal separator, as it affects many calculations (including grades) in Moodle. Lo demás es lo de menos.

Saludos desde la Ciudad de México, tocayo smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Germán Valero

by Germán Vitale -
Hi Germán, Wow! This is a really useful information about language packs. I really appreciate it! You did a great job with the (es_mx) pack. Now, my team and I can take a decision on our implementation regarding this topic. Thank you very much, Germán smile

¡Saludos desde Buenos Aires!