Maximum gradebook size?

Maximum gradebook size?

by Katie Pritchard -
Number of replies: 3

With the fix in 3.1 for large gradebooks, what is the maximum gradebook database size?

Why I ask: I have 2500-3000 students in the fall semester with around 80 quizzes and 5 assignments. So 85 items in the gradebook. How should I divide up the class? Is 2 sections enough or do I need more? I would like to have as few as possible due to the complication of managing them.

Thanks!

In reply to Katie Pritchard

Re: Maximum gradebook size?

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Can you not break those 85 quizzes and assignments up into multiple courses? Having 85 grade items in one course is going to be painful to use and manage. With that many quizzes and assignments you probably have a lot of information in that course for the students top go through. Can you "chunk" that information up and move each "section" into a separate course?

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Katie Pritchard -
I'm worried that might be more confusing for the students as we use self enrollment. How do I make sure all of those student enroll in all the quiz sections? Also the course works as a point accumulation, so it would be difficult for students to know their total points when they are divided up. 

I've not had a complaint so far from students saying the course is difficult to navigate. We have 4 quiz sections, with reading, lecture, film, and flash quizzes that close each week. 

In reply to Katie Pritchard

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Are you asking due to a problem you were having before?

At my cyberschool (gr 5-12 set up for 1,000 concurrent users), we have between 80 and 100 activities per course (about 100 courses). Moodle is supposed to have good scalability so check this link out for details: https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Performance_recommendations

We are hosted, so the only problem we are running into at this point in the year (the fourth quarter) is that everything gets so slowed down -- pulling logs, opening a course, and entering the grader report... Maybe we are overusing our Moodle?? sad  But I don't know anything about this stuff so I've been working with my Moodle Host for a month now to figure out a solution to all the slowness. I don't mean to imply this will happen to you (hosted or not hosted), but I wanted to point you to the performance recommendations link about so you can make sure your hardware and set up meet your needs & situation.