Pioneer v1.3.8 Support Discussion

Pioneer v1.3.8 Support Discussion

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 235
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Pioneer 1.3.8 introduces a ton of new features.  This is the forum post I will be watching for any support requests.  You can also post issues on Github: https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_pioneer

Theme Download and More Information: https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_pioneer

Most Notable New Features:

• Page Scroll Spy returns the user to their last position when the page refreshes or the user returns. Very useful when turning editing on and off while at the bottom of a course with lots of topics.
  • Course Slideshow!  Takes the course header image and builds a beautiful slideshow on the top of the frontpage.  Site admin just needs to add the course ID numbers of the courses they want to include.
  • Course Completion Radial Animation.  Appears in the upper left corner of courses with completion turned on.  Site admin can turn this off for all courses with a simple checkbox.
  • Course Creator (Teachers) only textbox.  Ideal for showing instructions to only teachers when they login.
  • Frontpage custom login form show/hide toggle
  • Many styling and layout improvements

Check out my Youtube Channel for updated videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN3SqeeXSL7igAdRio2dBLQ

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Pioneer v1.3.8 Support Discussion

by Jamie Billingham -

Hi Chris,

I love the Pioneer theme! Just one problem that I can't figure out and am wondering if you can point me in right direction to fix. Forum digests display the subject and content well but the name and date are not filled in. Is this a setting issue that I have have missed?

Re: Text

by {$a->name} - {$a->date}

Currently using Pioneer v. 1.3.7 with Moodle 3.0.3 (Build: 20160314)

And apologies if this was posted in the wrong thread.

Cheers,

Jamie

In reply to Jamie Billingham

by Chris Kenniburg -

Jamie, 

I am not sure the theme plays a part in emails.  Can you switch themes on a course and see if the issue persists?

by Jamie Billingham -

Hi Chris,

I can switch themes in our test site. Both are now running Moodle 3.0 though. We updated the Moodle version and installed the new theme at the same time. I'll post to a forum using the Clean theme and then again to same forum using Pioneer theme. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Cheers,

Jamie

by Jamie Billingham -

Ok, weirdly enough, using the Pioneer theme in the test environment renders perfect email notifications of posts.

test 3 pioneer

by Jamie Billingham - Wednesday, 11 May 2016, 5:24 PM

Back to the drawing board...

Thanks,

Jamie

by Jamie Billingham -

So this is bug in 3.0 https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-53509

Solved, not fixed, but solved smile

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

MDL-53509 is Closed as FIXED and was added to Moodle 3.0.3 and Master (Moodle 31Dev) branches on the 24 March 2016.

If you are not using Moodle 3.0.3+ then you need to upgrade to latest Moodle version which is currently Moodle 3.0.4.

Hope this answers your question?

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Sticky navigation bar (overlap)

by Ricardo Caiado -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Is there a way to solve this? (see image below)

Attachment overlap.jpg
In reply to Ricardo Caiado

Re: Sticky navigation bar (overlap)

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes,

It looks like the z-index problem.

The z-index for middle menu bar is too high so try lowering it.

There is a z-index on the widget that governs the popup enroller box.  You cannot change that one so that is why you need to fix the one in the theme.

Hope this helps?

Mary

by Chris Kenniburg -

I'll take a look tomorrow.  It should be an easy fix and I can get you the custom CSS until the next release which will fix it in the theme.  

by Ricardo Caiado -
Thanks, but I can wait the next release!

by Chris Kenniburg -

I have a fix for the z-index issue.  I am just trying to add in a color picker for the drop down menu items for the next release.

by Lani Boothman-Carpenter -

Hi Chris,

The completion tracking Radial (top left corner) is a great idea but I've only seen it work once. It keeps showing editing even when logged in as a student.  

In reply to Lani Boothman-Carpenter

by Chris Kenniburg -

Unfortunately it only works with student marked completion.  If completion is based on a test score or other means it doesn't quite work.  

This is step one.  I am hoping someone can help with a function that returns a number I can plug into this script to read right from the database instead of the way it currently functions for reading completion.  

My other goal is to show the student grade in this fashion as well.  

So if any moodle devs want to help with a function that returns a number for course completion and grade total, I'd appreciate it. 

by Chris Kenniburg -

New updated code will bring Total Course Completion AND Total Course Grade to the Pioneer theme.  The new code reads right from the database and includes all conditional settings.  These two widgets are displayed in animated radials based off percentages. 

A super big thanks to Richard, the developer behind the Flexibase theme for figuring it out and sharing the updated code.

I am working on implementation and styling for Pioneer.

Pioneer v1.3.9 IS OUT

by Chris Kenniburg -

I just posted the latest release v1.3.9.

• Radial Course Completion should work for everything but requires a page refresh to see new results.
  • Radial Total Course Grade is also a new feature.
  • many more improvements. see the readme

Big round of applause for Richard Oelmann (Flexibase Theme Dev) for outstanding work in making the Radial Animation read from the database instead of the previous trick.

Re: Pioneer v1.3.9 IS OUT

by Jeff White -

Wow... I cannot believe I havent looked into this theme until this week. 

Absolutely love the course completion radial button. I cannot wait for Moodle 3.1 and see all the new great ideas with this theme using learning paths and competencies smile

In reply to Jeff White

by Chris Kenniburg -
I am working on getting it ready for 3.1.  I have a new package ready to go for 3.1.  There were just a few CSS  changes and I think it is ready to go.

Richard Oelman, dev of Flexibase, worked out the code for the radials.  So please thank him for that piece of awesomeness!

We are also brainstorming an idea I had about personalized Featured Courses slider where it matches user profile tags with course tags and returns matching course id's which are fed to the pioneer slider for the user!  A step forward for more personalized learning!

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Brainstorming done as of about 10mins ago Chris smile testing needed smile

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=332988#p1342750

Looks really great - your featured course slider with tags to determine which courses get personalised for each user!

If we can implement it twice, so we have a site led 'Featured Courses' and a user led 'Recommended Courses' - amazing!

Got to say I think we make a good team on so many of these ideas :D lol! (and got to say thank you for all the mentions in your tweets etc too smile Had some "well done"s from colleagues just because they saw those tweets rather than anything to do with seeing the coding :D )

R

Attachment Screenshot from 2016-05-18 230329.png
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Chris Kenniburg -

Are you kidding me?  You already got it working!  That is amazing.  And, Yes!  I think we make a good team.  Thank you so much for all you contribute to the rest of us with your expertise! 

I got put on a project that needs attention, but I will surely try to test this out tomorrow!

This can be a powerful tool for more personalized learning.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

Have you seen the eguru theme? That has a course_renderer that highlights promoted courses. The code is similar but looks to use a different technique.

Great works you two, its been a joy to read!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

TBH Mary, Chris did the heavy lifting with creating the slider - which as he says originated with the one in eguru and wherever that came from in the first place. All I did then was create the logic to get the personalised list of courses based on user 'interests' and course tags instead of the site-wide admin setting smile

So credit where its due - eguru theme authors for initially bringing the featured courses slider and Chris for porting it to Pioneer and coming up with the idea to use tags - all I did was find a way to match those tags from the database smile

But glad you like it and hope others find it useful too! Planning to port the whole thing to flexibase and will write full porting instructions for it when I do so the same feature can be added to other themes!

by Chris Kenniburg -

Works as expected!  Great job.  I am still figuring out how to best implement this.  I think it needs it's own slider so that we can further customize how the course is displayed to the user.  Especially if it is customized to the user.  We may want it to appear in a different spot and need it to be smaller in size.

This is really amazing and you need to let the community know about this.  Personalized learning is really where technology can help.  This is one step in that direction and is very cool!

by Mary Evans -

Hi Chris, 

I have not heard of the term Personalised Learning, could you define it or explain where it originated?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Kenniburg -

Mary,

Personalized learning is a pretty big buzz word here in the States.  It is very similar to differentiated instruction but more encompassing.  

The idea is that a learner is evaluated and customized learning modules meet the needs of the individual learner.  Students are being asked to take control of their learning and develop goals, learning plans, etc.  We are taking up Mahara to help guide students into developing "My Learning Plans" as well as set goals and develop portfolios of their learning in K-12 grade levels.  

There is a lot of big money floating around looking to provide students with personalized and customized learning. 

Here is a great article:

http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140-28753_65799-349845--,00.html

by Mike Condardo -

AWESOME JOB WITH PIONEER CHRIS AND CONTRIBUTORS!!!

I just installed Pioneer version 1.3.9 to my sandbox website running Moodle 3.0.3 (Build: 20160314) and I am having an issue with the Tool Menu controlled from the Navigational Options Menu. with version 1.3.8, my custom menu appeared on the left-hand side of the bar next to the My Courses menu. The old menu code that I created in 1.3.8 is no longer there ... so I re-entered the code in 1.3.9.

Now both the old menu which I named "Helpful Links" and the new menu appears in the extreme upper corner of the page under the "Tools" drop-down menu.

Were there changes to locations where I need to create my custom pull-down menu?

Thanks,

Mike

In reply to Mike Condardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

Hi Mike,

In order to preserve space I moved the Tools, Custom Menu, and Language Menu to the very top right menu position where normally the icon navigation and course search box would be located.  

They only appear on the frontpage/dashboard.  This is to limit what information is displayed once in a course so that we might lower the cognitive load on a student.

Is this an issue?  I am always open to feedback.  

by Mike Condardo -

Hi Chris,

On my end, having that drop-down menu in the upper right corner is an element that lays over the logos we had built for that corner. Not a deal breaker -- I'll try to find another way to present that menu.

Thanks,

Mike

by Mike Condardo -

Hi Chris,

Is there a way to turn off the horizontal menu bar from appearing on the log-in page? And is there a way to use the old Moodle standard log-in page without the image? The image works well on all the other pages ... but on the log-in page it is zoomed so large that it is cutting off the image on the left and right and just doesn't really present well visually.

Thanks,

Mike

by Chris Kenniburg -

The images are not designed to be exact fit.  They spread to cover the entire page.  If you are using a logo the theme has a spot for that in the sticky navigation bar.

The intent of the images is to provide a look and not display text, logos, or anything else like that.

Would you like a more prominent area for a logo?

by Mike Condardo -

I like the flexibility with the images for Frontpage vs. Course Headers. I think if I could have the option of selecting a blank log-in page ... separate from the Frontpage (too much going on there for log-in to be there for our users) ... that would help. I am using the Frontpage and Course headers for our "branding identification" because the option on the bar was just too small for us.

So the question is:

-- Is there a way to have a log-in page without the image from the Frontpage? The image from the Frontpage cuts off a 1/3 of our logo on the left and another 1/3 on the right. (I have attached a PDF of the screenshot between what I am seeing in Pioneer and what was used on our previous theme.

-- Is there a way to remove the horizontal bar from the log-in page?

Thanks,

Mike

Attachment IMAGE-Moodle Login Page comparison with Pioneer Theme.JPG

by Richard Oelmann -

Try adding

#page-login-index section#region-main {background-image:none;}

in the Pioneer customcss setting

by Mike Condardo -

Thanks Richard! That did the trick. The image is gone. Any ideas how to get the horizontal bar off that page as well?

by Chris Kenniburg -

Hiding the Nav bar will be done similarly with custom CSS.  When I am at work I will identify the tag and code to hide it for you.   

by Chris Kenniburg -
Add this to custom CSS  

#page-login-index .fpcustomnav-container {display: none;}

by Mike Condardo -

Hello Chris,

Since updating to the new version of Pioneer, I am getting this blank white image in the upper right corner of the website on all pages. (see attached)

Any suggestions as to how I can make that go away?

Thanks you again for your patience, skills and effort to this theme. It is outstanding!

Attachment SCREENSHOT-Moodle Upper Right Corner White Box Using Pioneer Theme.JPG

by Chris Kenniburg -

Thanks for using Pioneer.  I appreciate the compliments as well.  This is a lot of hard work for no pay.  We do it because we love Moodle.  

As for that bar...

If you go to Theme Settings > Colors

Try removing the color for "Top Icon and Searchbox Navigation Background".  The reason it is there is because it is looking for Icon navigation or the course search box.  I will need to take a look and see if I can make it completely disappear when nothing is present for the top navigation area.

by Chris Kenniburg -

Actually, Scrap my previous message.  I found where I could fix this issue.  Just had to adjust some code on the course layout page.  

It will be a part of the Pioneer 1.4 update coming out later today or early next week.  

by Mike Condardo -

Hi Chris,

I have some questions about Block Headers in the Pioneer Theme, specifically:

1.       How do I add an icon in front of the Block Header title? Can I utilize Font Awesome?
2.       How do I change the color of the icons in the Block Headers? (existing and new)
3.       Is it possible to toggle “on” and “off” the ADMINISTRATION Block for student view? With the wonderful drop-menu of “View Course Grades” in the top-middle of the page, the appearance of “Grades” in the ADMIN block on the side is just taking up extra real estate and it’s repetitive.

Thank you for your help,

Mike

by Chris Kenniburg -

1.  Yes.  These are font awesome icons.  They are hard coded in style CSS.  

2. The color is also hard coded.  Although there is a color picker on the colors page which allows you to make them all one color.  

CSS code is near the bottom on this page.  Look for .block

https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_pioneer/blob/master/style/pioneer.css

3. That is a function of Moodle and not the theme.  I am planning on replication the admin block in a drop down menu, so in the future it may be possible to just hide it completely.

by Mark Pearson -

Chris,

Brilliant theme squire. Personally, from the point of view of users at our College I'm not that fussed about the front page pyrotechnics. However, this theme really makes the Dashboard a useful location in Moodle. Being able to add big icons and links is a huge plus. It would be even more of a plus if I could make use of the otherwise largely blank menu bar which currently only contains the personal menu & My Courses. Is there any way of adding multi menus here too ? Here's what I'm thinking as a screenshot :

Menu bar mods requested

Also, as noted I would like to change the colours of the headers to fit in with the, shall we say, subtler colour scheme that we are used to smile.

I spent ages trying to find a suitable Font Awesome icon that would associate nicely with the 'course evaluation / assessment' function, to no avail. The best I found was :

Font Awesome assessment icon at https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/issues/6777

But it never made it into circulation. Pity.

Cheers

Mark ('Moodle Tsar') Pearson

Attachment Pioneer Dashboard header mods 2.png
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Chris Kenniburg -

I am keeping the main sticky navbar empty for a reason.  I plan to try and eliminate the navigation and administration blocks and replace them with the ability to put those items in the sticky navigation.  

There is a color picker on the colors page which will change all the heading color of the blocks to a single color.  By default it's empty.  Pick a color and it will change for all.

by Mark Pearson -

I plan to try and eliminate the navigation and administration blocks and replace them with the ability to put those items in the sticky navigation. 

Sounds like a great idea.

There is a color picker on the colors page which will change all the heading color of the blocks to a single color

My Duh! smile Having a lot of fun matching colours.

The Edit Topic header dropdown does not play so well with the Collapsed Topics course format, probably because it does not have the between topic padding that that the theme applies to regular Topics. I wonder where I would fix that in the Collapsed Topics code ?

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Richard Oelmann -

Chris/Mark,

You could try taking the awesomebar from here and building it into the theme if you want a different way to present the navigation and settings blocks smile

Tested upto Moodle3.0 - haven't tested these 'components' on 3.1 yet

Richard

by Chris Kenniburg -

Hey Richard, 

Thanks for trying to help with the weird issue with the new 1.4 release.  I am not quite sure what is tripping it up for Ricardo.

We might have to wait and see if anything else is reported.

As for the awesome bar, I am taking a hard look at it.  I might try later this week.  I'll pull from your repository and give it a shot.  I'm working on a 3.1 release.  I have a short window before summer projects start.  We will be moving to 3.1 after our school lets out, so Pioneer will definitely be ready by july.

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Chris Kenniburg -
Mark,

Edit Topic Dropdown... is that a moodle 3.1 feature?  Is it available in other versions?  

I did notice that in the Moodle 2.9 and 3.0 testing that I had placed those edit topic icons over on the left.  That css change causes problems in the M3.1.  I noticed a couple of issues and I have fixes.  I just haven't been able to do enough testing.  

-Chris

by Chris Kenniburg -

Version 1.4 will be coming out early next week.  Great stuff and some new features.

You'll be able to pick the radial dial color.

My Courses slider block kinda like featured courses but only user enrolled courses.

Personalized Recommended courses based off tags in courses and user profile. Matches tags and then displays the matching courses to the user.

Fixes for several items brought up here by Mike. Thank you!

And I am going to take a quick look at adding a Favicon uploader.

As the author of the Evolve-D theme, I always loved the full screen image login.  I may try to provide that as an option with Pioneer.

Pioneer v1.4 Error

by Ricardo Caiado -
Got this error just after I upgrade to 1.4:

--------------------------
Debug info: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: ""
SELECT * FROM mdl_course WHERE id = $1
[array (
0 => '',
)]
Error code: dmlreadexception
Stack trace:

line 443 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
line 244 of /lib/dml/pgsql_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
line 785 of /lib/dml/pgsql_native_moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->query_end()
line 1480 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
line 1452 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_sql()
line 1431 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_select()
line 188 of /theme/pioneer/renderers/course_renderer.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()
line 53 of /theme/pioneer/layout/includes/fptextbox.php: call to theme_pioneer_core_course_renderer->promoted_courses()
line 177 of /theme/pioneer/layout/frontpage.php: call to require_once()
line 1018 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
line 948 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
line 164 of /my/index.php: call to core_renderer->header()
-----------------------------------

Something is wrong with "theme_pioneer | showmycourses". When "on" the error shows up!!

Moodle 3.0.4+ (Build: 20160520)
Attachment Screenshot from 2016-05-23 15-12-35.png

Re: Pioneer v1.4 Error

by Chris Kenniburg -

I am at a loss.  I cannot reproduce this error.  I am hoping someone else here might be able to shed some light on this issue.

Where exactly are the errors showing up? On the page?

Pioneer v1.4 error - related to "theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses"

by Ricardo Caiado -
Here is another one.

Moodle 3.1

Attachment Screenshot from 2016-05-23 15-11-55.png

Re: Pioneer v1.4 error - related to "theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses"

by Ricardo Caiado -
The message "[MAIN CONTENT GOES HERE - DTnxk5oHTA]" is from the error.

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This issue is fixed usually with a Purge Cache. After an update is very common this error due to variable changes. At least is what  happens in Adaptable.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Ricardo Caiado -
Done that => No results!

by Mary Evans -

Just wondering if there is a clash going on with other plugins like blocks that are course related?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ricardo Caiado -
Mary,

I will do that and see what happens.

Ricardo
In reply to Mary Evans

by Ricardo Caiado -
Uninstalled non-core plugins => error did not go away. sad
In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Richard Oelmann -

Shouldn't that be fixed with running properly through the upgrade process (at Site Admin > Notifications) ?

If not, is this a bug that needs to be dealt with in Tracker and fixed in Moodle core?

by Ricardo Caiado -
The upgrade was done through "Notifications"

by Chris Kenniburg -

Do you have the Personalized Course Recommendation turned on?  If so turn it off.  That seems to be the Promoted course code.   It might be looking for course and user tags and if it is not turned on throwing an error?

I am just not sure how to reproduce the issue.

by Ricardo Caiado -
Where I can find these settings?

by Chris Kenniburg -

The main setting for tags is in Site admin advanced.  

https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Tag_settings

Administration > Site administration > Advanced features.

by Ricardo Caiado -
The "Enable tags functionality (usetags)" turned OFF, but error persists.

by Chris Kenniburg -

Turn it on in Advanced Settings.

Or in the theme Settings > Frontpage Dashboard > make sure to uncheck recommended courses.

Personalized Recommended Courses requires tags to be enabled and it even might require a tag exist.  

by Richard Oelmann -

Just installed Pioneer on a fresh Moodle3.1 instance and cannot replicate - likewise flexibase whch uses essentially the same code (it has a few other issues on 3.1 that are fixed on my localhost but not yet pushed to github, but not related to this).

We'd need to know what settings you have other than default in order to work out what the issue is, if neither Chris nor I can replicate it.

by Ricardo Caiado -
Here is what we got so far:

Pioneer Theme settings: ALL default

theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses: NO
theme_pioneer | showmycourses: YES

-----------
[array (
0 => '',
)]
Stack trace:

line 474 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
line 244 of /lib/dml/pgsql_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
line 794 of /lib/dml/pgsql_native_moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->query_end()
line 1527 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
line 1499 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_sql()
line 1478 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_select()
line 188 of /theme/pioneer/renderers/course_renderer.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()
line 53 of /theme/pioneer/layout/includes/fptextbox.php: call to theme_pioneer_core_course_renderer->promoted_courses()
line 1028 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
line 958 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()

##############################

theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses: NO
theme_pioneer | showmycourses: NO

-------

No error!!!

##############################

theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses: YES
theme_pioneer | showmycourses: NO

--------

Debug info: ERROR: column "course" does not exist
LINE 1: ...NCT itemid FROM mdl_tag_instance WHERE itemtype = "course" A...
^
SELECT DISTINCT itemid FROM mdl_tag_instance WHERE itemtype = "course" AND tagid IN(SELECT tagid FROM mdl_tag_instance WHERE itemtype = "user" AND itemid = 2)
[array (
)]
Stack trace:

line 794 of /lib/dml/pgsql_native_moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->query_end()
line 142 of /theme/pioneer/renderers/course_renderer.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
line 68 of /theme/pioneer/layout/includes/fptextbox.php: call to theme_pioneer_core_course_renderer->promoted_courses()
line 958 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()

##################################

by Richard Oelmann -

I don't understand this line in the error message

"Debug info: ERROR: column "course" does not exist"

because the sql shouldn't be looking for a column named 'course' it should be looking for 'course' in the field named itemtype.

by Ricardo Caiado -
"ERROR: column "course" does not exist"

It is weird, isn´t it?

"Default Header Image" missing!!

by Ricardo Caiado -
Another weird behavior.

If "Display Login Form" is set to "No" the "Default Header Image" doesn´t appear.

If "Display Login Form" is set to "Yes" the "Default Header Image" appears.

Take a look at the screenshot below.

PS: it only hapens on the Frontpage.

PS2: "Debug Messages" set to "DEVELOPER": no error messages!!

PS3: Moodle 3.0.4 and Moodle 3.1
Attachment HeaderImage.jpg

Re: "Default Header Image" missing!!

by Chris Kenniburg -

I'll take a look tomorrow.  It's 11pm here in Detroit.  I didn't see this in testing but anything is possible! 

Thanks for the heads up on this issue.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Chris,

There are a number of unnecessary php tags in the header.

https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_pioneer/blob/master/layout/default.php#L58-L91

Perhaps if you simplified it a little. Also a lot of the logic in the header could just as well be in the lib.php and used to creat some simple bodyclasses. These then can be used in the CSS thus cutting down on php markup. The fact that there are only 2 states or outcomes ON / OFF

So a body class ' has-header-image ' will ensure the image is present all the time regardless of state of login, providing the login is styled independently of the background image container?

This is only an observation and not meant as criticism.

Im not in a position to help you at the moment otherwise I would have.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Kenniburg -

Thanks Mary!  I am going to be looking into really trying to clean up the code this summer.  I will be looking for guidance from the team here. 

by Ricardo Caiado -
Chris,

I think the error message (ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: "") is database related. In my case "PostgreSQL".

I found that:

"...PostgreSQL accepts unquoted blank fields as null by default in CSV, but "" would be like writing:

SELECT ''::integer;

and fail for the same reason..."

Later I found:

"... I think the problem in your query is that tahun_buku is of datatype int and you are trying to select an empty string ('')..."

"...Use NULL for "empty" values in a numeric column ... The empty string '' can only be used in character types like text or varchar..."

"...That error is telling you that you have empty strings in the lodges.image column and you cannot cast an empty string to an integer. You'll have to fix the broken data before changing the column type. The fix depends on what you want empty strings to be; one possibility would be to convert them to NULLs ... Or perhaps you want empty strings to be zeros ..."

Ricardo

by Richard Oelmann -

Try changing the "column" in that line of sql for 'column' (double quotes to single) and for any other double quoted values in any sql statements.

If that works I will change the code in flexibase and Chris can change it in Pioneer, but I don't have a postgresql database to test it out on.

R

by Chris Kenniburg -

Ricardo,

If you need help I can try this fix and email you a replacement file you can just drop in.

by Ricardo Caiado -
Chris,

Need some help here:

"line 188 of /theme/pioneer/renderers/course_renderer.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()"

foreach ($rcourseids as $key => $val) {
$ccourse = $DB->get_record('course', array('id' => $val)); (#188)
if (empty($ccourse)) {
unset($rcourseids[$key]);
continue;
}
}

Ricardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

Does Postgres require " around "course" ?

$ccourse = $DB->get_record('course', array('id' => $val)); (#188)

by Ricardo Caiado -
Line 142 (with change):

$sql = 'SELECT DISTINCT itemid FROM {tag_instance} WHERE itemtype = 'course' AND tagid IN(SELECT tagid FROM {tag_instance} WHERE itemtype = 'user' AND itemid = '.$USER->id.')';

Result: blank screen

"Error log: "PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'course' (T_STRING) in XXXXX on line 141, referer: http://www.mooc.nce.ufrj.br/theme/index.php"

by Richard Oelmann -

Ah - sorry Ricardo, my fault, I'd forgotten that the whole thing was wrapped in " and hadn't also forgotten the $USER->id bit as I was just going from the forum post not the original code. D'oh!!

Try

$sql = "SELECT DISTINCT itemid FROM {tag_instance} WHERE itemtype = 
'course' AND tagid IN(SELECT tagid FROM {tag_instance} WHERE itemtype = 
'user' AND itemid = ".$USER->id.")";

I'm not sure, but as postgres v mysql is the only obvious difference, then its worth a try but as I said i don't have a postgres database to test against sad

R

by Ricardo Caiado -
Changed the line, but it didn't work. :(

The source code (bottom):

<div class="fptextboxtext">
              </div>
      <div class="clearfix"></div>
<div role="main">[MAIN CONTENT GOES HERE - fAzSUjhHRt]</div>    </div>
    <!DOCTYPE html>
<html  lang="pt-br" xml:lang="pt-br">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<title>Erro</title>
</head><body><div style="margin-top: 6em; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto; color:#990000; text-align:center; font-size:large; border-width:1px;
border-color:black; background-color:#ffffee; border-style:solid; border-radius: 20px; border-collapse: collapse;
width: 80%; -moz-border-radius: 20px; padding: 15px">
Erro ao ler a base de dados
</div><div class="notifytiny">Debug info: ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: &quot;&quot;<br />SELECT * FROM mdl_course WHERE id = $1<br />[array (<br />  0 =&gt; '',<br />

by Richard Oelmann -

OK - There are 2 separate errors being looked at here I think.

Can I confirm then that you are no longer seeing the error you posted here?

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=332941#p1343548

The error that still needs looking at is the one here

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=332941#p1343548

Very strange as it should never be looking for $1 as the course ids being used should be integers. I have no idea how it would end up still having the $ in front of it given the code below

"line 188 of /theme/pioneer/renderers/course_renderer.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()"
foreach ($rcourseids as $key => $val) { $ccourse = $DB->get_record('course', array('id' => $val)); (#188) if (empty($ccourse)) { unset($rcourseids[$key]); continue; } }

by Chris Kenniburg -

I've included the first failure which was the tags functionality.  I think the updated code from Richard solved that one.  Now there is a new issue at line 188

by Chris Kenniburg -

Richard,

On the actual plugin page Ricardo first reported this error if it helps shed any light on this:

[array (
0 => '',
)]
Stack trace:

line 785 of /lib/dml/pgsql_native_moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->query_end()
line 1480 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
line 1452 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_sql()
line 1431 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_select()
line 948 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()

by Ricardo Caiado -
Richard,

There are two errors: (#142) and (#188)

#142 is fixed!!

But turning on "theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses" we still have this message: "[MAIN CONTENT GOES HERE - fAzSUjhHRt]"

Now, both "theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses" and "theme_pioneer | showmycourses" have the same debug info:

--------------------------
[array (
0 => '',
)]
Stack trace:

line 1527 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
line 1499 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_sql()
line 1478 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_select()
line 68 of /theme/pioneer/layout/includes/fptextbox.php: call to theme_pioneer_core_course_renderer->promoted_courses()
line 112 of /index.php: call to core_renderer->header()
-----------------------------------

Ricardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

Does this SQL code fix the issue?  I tested it with MYSQL and it seems to work as expected.  Does it work with Postgres?

by Ricardo Caiado -
Chris,

Yes, it does.

#142 is fixed.

Ricardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

#142 is already into the next release of Pioneer as is the fixed header image.

Does changing the single quotes to double quotes help?

$ccourse = $DB->get_record("course", array("id" => $val));

by Ricardo Caiado -
Chris,

"#142 fixed" means "we don't have any error messages".

I still miss the header image when "Display Login Form" is ON. (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=332941#p1343601)

Ricardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

Yes.  Understood.  I replaced the SQL code in the theme to reflect the changes Richard made that fixed the error for you.  

I also fixed the frontpage code that shows/hides the login.  It is ready to go with the next release.  I was hoping to resolve this database issues you are having with this Pioneer 1.4.1 release.  

Should I just push out what we have fixed so far?  The login might be critical if you choose not to show it. 

by Chris Kenniburg -

#142 Does the intended functionality work or just no errors?

Version 1.4.1 was released which fixed the image not displayingoing when login form was hidden.

If there are any further issues let me know.  Holiday weekend and I will not be interested the office until next Tuesday.

by Ricardo Caiado -
Chris,

I confirm the "Display Login Form" issue is fixed in version "1.4.1".

Ricardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

What about the other issues with my courses slider?

by Ricardo Caiado -
It´s alive and kicking!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses = OFF

theme_pioneer | showmycourses = ON

theme_pioneer | fptextbox (not empty) = DO NOT SHOW

Followed by this error message:

[array (
0 => '',
)]
Stack trace:

line 173 of /theme/pioneer/layout/frontpage.php: call to require_once()

------------------------------------------

theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses = ON

theme_pioneer | showmycourses = OFF

theme_pioneer | fptextbox (not empty) = SHOW and appears this message: "[MAIN CONTENT GOES HERE - GRtJVKEE1D]"

Followed by this error message:

[array (
0 => '',
)]
Stack trace:

-------------------------------------------

Ricardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

Ricardo,

I am glad to hear it is alive and kicking but the errors are concerning.  I do not have a Postgres setup so I am not able to test it out.  If someone else with Postgres has the same issue we might be able to pinpoint what is going on for your setup.

-Chris

by Chris Kenniburg -

I am not sure where we'd enter in a null value in the code.  With MySQL it is just fine.  

The code for featured courses started from the eGuru theme.  If you have a dev site could you try that theme and turn on the featured courses but do not enter any courses to be featured?

by Ricardo Caiado -
Theme: EGuru

theme_eguru | pcourseenable: ON

theme_eguru | promotedcourses: EMPTY

No error on page and no error log messages!

--------------------------------------

Theme: EGuru

theme_eguru | pcourseenable: ON

theme_eguru | promotedcourses: NOT EMPTY

No error on page and no error log messages!

by Chris Kenniburg -

Richard Oelman just released Flexibase 3.2.0 with basically the same feature for my courses slider and promoted courses.  

Can you try that and see if you get errors?  If no errors then I will need to really examine the code again.  I just couldn't get it to give me errors.

Just make sure to activate those features and let's see if it is related to Pioneer or Postgres.

by Ricardo Caiado -
Theme: FlexiBase

-----------------------------------------------

No error messages!
Attachment 001.jpg

by Ricardo Caiado -
Theme: FlexiBase

-----------------------------------------------

Debug info: ERROR: column "course" does not exist
LINE 1: ...NCT itemid FROM mdl_tag_instance WHERE itemtype = "course" A...
^
SELECT DISTINCT itemid FROM mdl_tag_instance WHERE itemtype = "course" AND tagid IN
(SELECT tagid FROM mdl_tag_instance WHERE itemtype = "user" AND itemid = 2)
[array (
)]
Stack trace:

line 562 of /theme/flexibase/renderers/course_renderer.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
line 50 of /theme/flexibase/layout/myhome.php: call to theme_flexibase_core_course_renderer->promoted_courses()
Attachment 002.jpg

by Chris Kenniburg -

Ok.  I am guessing you'd get similar issues when turning on just the My Courses slider as well.

It's consistent.  I am hoping to setup a postgres install and see if I can reproduce this error.

Off until next week.  I'll check back in on Tuesday.

by Richard Oelmann -

OK - the courses error is the same one identified previously, but I haven't pushed the fix on flexibase to github or the database yet, so that is known and we have a solution for it.

The other bit - I'm still stumped sad

by Richard Oelmann -

OK - POSSIBLE identification of the problem, certainly something that needs to be looked at

I added a couple of print_r and echos to the code to see what was being passed and got:

$featuredids -> 10,7,6,3,2,                        Note the closing comma
$rcourseids -> Array ( [0] => 10 [1] => 7 [2] => 6 [3] => 3 [4] => 2 [5] => )                       note the null final entry caused by that closing comma
$val -> (not an array, just echoing each time through the loop) -> 10:7:6:3:2::               note the null final value (the colons are mine to separate)

MySQL appears to be allowing this final null value, while postgres appears to be complaining about it

SO - Ricardo can you please try changing the following

https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_pioneer/blob/master/renderers/course_renderer.php#L187 onwards

$ccourse = $DB->get_record('course', array('id' => $val));
if (empty($ccourse)) {
continue;
}
}

print_r ($rcourseids);echo '<br>';
            if ($val == '') {
            }
                echo $val.' ';
                if (empty($ccourse)) {
                    continue;
                }
        }
        print_r ($rcourseids);echo '<br>';

Note: the print_r and echo lines are only there for the purpose of troubleshooting and can be removed later if it works

Richard

by Ricardo Caiado -
[array (
0 => '',
)]
Stack trace:

line 602 of /theme/flexibase/renderers/course_renderer.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()
line 106 of /theme/flexibase/layout/frontpage.php: call to theme_flexibase_core_course_renderer->promoted_courses()
Attachment putty.jpg

by Chris Kenniburg -

Unlike the other issue, I have a fix for this.  I have to run to a training this morning but will have a 1.4.1 release later today.  It fixes the image issue not showing up.  

I agree with Mary.  I need to clean up the code now and work to bring things up to standards.  We have plenty of features but need to make the logic better.

by Mike Condardo -

Hi Chris,

I am using different images for each course ... but the images are showing up in the Course Description bars in the category listing. Is there a way to turn the images off from showing in the description? I am using Pioneer 1.3.9.

Thanks,

Mike

by Chris Kenniburg -

I think that is the default behaviour of Moodle and not a bug.   I can take a look tomorrow.  It's 730pm my time.

by Chris Kenniburg -

Hi Mike,

Try adding this to your custom CSS box in Pioneer:

.category-browse .courseimage {display: none;}

by Mike Condardo -

Thanks Chris -- That did the trick! One additional question about that: Is there a way to close-down or reduce the sizes of the blank description area that now appears there? (where the image previously appeared before writing it out of the area with the custom CSS)

by Mike Condardo -

Hi Chris - Where do I set the text color from gray to white on the Navigation Bar for "My Course" and the User Profile?

Thanks!

by Ricardo Caiado -
Chris,

Where I can find the "Activity Completion" and "Total Course Grade" strings from the radial graph (top left)?

Ricardo

by Mary Evans -
In reply to Mary Evans

by Ricardo Caiado -
I got the string "activitycompletion" translated on my package but it is not showing on the page.

by Chris Kenniburg -

I am out of town until next week.  I'll take a look but they are most likely hard coded in the theme/layout/includes folder.  I'll fix them and put in a language string.  

I plan to take a hard look at all the code and clean it up.

by Richard Oelmann -

The strings are indeed hard coded (my fault) as they came from a piece of code that was being ported from theme to theme and so I forgot to re-add it back as language strings. I'll look at this in the morning and share the flexibase fix with Chris for use in Pioneer

by Richard van Iwaarden -

Hi Richard smile

Can I port the progress tracker to other themes? I would really like to use it but am not yet quite ready to switch to Pioneer.

I am testing with Pioneer though.

Richard.

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Mary Evans -

I don't see why not, that's the beauty of Open Source smile

by Chris Kenniburg -

Richard,

Most certainly.  I'd hope this becomes a standard feature for all themes and continue to get better.

Being able to make Moodle look and feel just the way we want it to is why we created the Pioneer theme (Prior we created Evolve-D).  It is a collection of original and borrowed features from other themes.  We took what we believe to be most useful and rolled it into our own theme and styled it the way we think benefits our students the most.  Sharing it here in the spirit of open source and hope others will benefit from it.

We are a K-12 district so our theme may not work for you, but please take whatever might benefit your organization.  

Source code: https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_pioneer

by Richard Oelmann -

If you mean the radial completion/grade bits I worked on with Chris then definitely.

You can either extract them from pioneer or flexibase, or it might be easier to look at my 'theme components' repository on github and grab them from there - that's what the repo is there for. It's an attempt to begin to provide these kind of widgets for anyone to use in their themes smile

https://github.com/roelmann/moodle-theme-components

Richard

Thanks Richard.

I get it to work, but sometimes. The CSS seems to break for some reason.

The radial progress works now, but the radial grades do not work.

Why can't I cut and paste the CSS part in the additional CSS box that comes with Essential? Because that seems to break everything.

Attachment grade1.jpg

by Richard Oelmann -

Ah - because its not CSS, Richard, its LESS (as adapted from the original upstream code that this came from in the first place)

As it says in the ReadMe for each of them, it really needs to be put in place, then grunt run to bring the LESS into the theme css.

I manage it on flexibase because that theme uses LESS 'on the fly' but in other themes that dont do that, such as Essential, you would need to pre-process the LESS through grunt

EDIT:

Also, Richard, the LESS for both radial components is exactly the same, so you would only need to add it once - it includes both classes, but has been added to each widget in case anyone only wants to add one of them.

R

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

Just browsing your masterpieces.

I did not know that there was a 7 digit HEX colour in LESS. Is this a new feature?

https://github.com/roelmann/moodle-theme-components/blob/master/radialgrade/radialgrade.php#L34

@circle-background: #ccccccc;

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

No, its fairly obviously a typo, thanks Mary.

Now corrected in both radialgrade.php and in radialcompletion.php where it was the same.

by Mary Evans -
In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Well, given it was me that typed it as a direct replacement for the flexibase theme settings (the original code had #d6dadc, while flexibase uses the theme LESS variable @circle-background: @gray-lighter;) and as I know that I didn't intend any alpha-transparency (I would have used RGBA as, to the best of my knowledge the aRGB hex colours are Android only at the moment - could be wrong, but that's all I know about them) and 7digits are no closer to 8 than they are to 6, then yes, I'm sure I am blaming my fat thumbs for the typo smile

I still haven't worked out how as I tested them before uploading them, but somewhere in that process I made the typo. Definitely my error, not from the upstream code and not in the code I gave Chris for Pioneer, or that used in Flexibase.

R

by Mary Evans -

Well I guessed it was a typo but you cannot rule out other ideas, especially with the pace of technology who knows what other marvels they will invent.

Anyway,,,it was an easy fix.

Thanks

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Just as an aside...you can use the LESS color functions transparency to variables

http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-color-schemes-with-less-color-functions--cms-23668

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Hi all,

I'm getting an error message when I try to install the latest update V1.4.3

and I'm getting the following error message

Debugging output enabled

Downloading theme_pioneer ...

<- https://moodle.org/plugins/download.php/11447/theme_pioneer_moodle31_2016060200.zip

-> /var/www/moodledata/temp/core_plugin/code_manager/distfiles/fbf655ad243ca269c854e93854f0a7e5.zip

... OK

Validating theme_pioneer ... Error

[OK] Name of the plugin to be installed [pioneer] [image: Help with

Name of the plugin to be installed]

<http://myriskmitigation.com/help.php?component=core_plugin&identifier=validationmsg_rootdir&lang=en>

[OK] Plugin version [2016060200]

[Error] Required Moodle version [2016051900]

Installation aborted due to validation failure

Is anyone else having this issue?

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

The ERROR message is telling you that the Moodle version you are currently using is not the correct version you need to have to be able to use the Pioneer theme.

You would need to upgrade to the latest version of Moodle 3.1 for thie theme to work,

Hope that helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

I'm  on Moodle 3.04 and the site says compatible with 3.0. I have pioneer

already installed and working up to this last update. So would this still

apply?

Lani

by Richard Oelmann -

"Required Moodle version [2016051900]"

2016051900 is lower than the version number for the released 3.1 (it may have been one of the Release Candidates), but as it is higher than the version number for Moodle 3.0 (which are 20151116xx.yy) then as Mary quite rightly says, this error is down to the requirement for a higher version of Moodle than you currently have.

Richard

by Richard Oelmann -

Checked last night - EDIT Just seen Chris has replied too -

Although Pioneer as a theme states it is compatible for each of those Moodle versions, there are several downloadable versions of Pioneer which are clearly marked for each Moodle version. You need to ensure you have the correct version for your Moodle.

by Chris Kenniburg -

There are two versions of the Pioneer theme.  One for Moodle 2.9 and 3.0.  Then there is one version for Moodle 3.1 which requires the higher dependencies only found in Moodle 3.1.

There was an issue that crept in with Moodle 3.1 and how we return a user to the same place they left in a course (Scroll Spy) and I just created a new version of the theme to deal with it. 

You might have mistakenly used the Moodle 3.1 Pioneer theme and that is why it is not installing.  Delete the entire Pioneer theme out of your theme folder on the server and install the version for Moodle 2.9 and 3.0 which will not cause this issue.

Chris 

by László Tornóci -

Is there a way to make the tab list and the tab content language dependent?

Topic Menu Drop Down

by Ricardo Caiado -
Is this correct? (see image below)
Attachment Screenshot from 2016-05-25 14-26-58.png

Re: Topic Menu Drop Down

by Mary Evans -

Do you mean the width of the edit me?

If so then it is theme issue. 

I'll take a look and find fix.

Re: Topic Menu Drop Down

by Chris Kenniburg -

If you are using moodle 3.1 please use Pioneer version 1.4.1 for Moodle 3.1.  Because of the issue you found I created a new version for 3.1.  The versions for 2.9 and 3.0 are not compatible with 3.1 due to this CSS issue.

Topic Menu Drop Down problem still there after upgrade

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi Chris,

Just upgrade to "Moodle 3.1" and "Pioneer 1.4.3 for Moodle 3.1", but the problem is still there. (see image below).

Purged all cache.

Ricardo
Attachment Edit.png

Re: Topic Menu Drop Down problem still there after upgrade

by Chris Kenniburg -

Sorry Richard.

The Moodle 3.1 version requires I delete 3 lines of CSS code to fix that drop down issue,  I am still mainly focused on development with the Moodle 2.9 version.  

I missed deleting those lines out before publishing.  There is a new version for Moodle 3.1 which fixes this issue.  I just posted the fix.

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi Chris,

After updating the theme to v1.4.4 the missing CSS code appeared again.

Ricardo
Attachment align-error.png

by Chris Kenniburg -

I've been quite busy but I will try and get a fix pushed up soon.

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi Chris,

Just updated to "Pioneer v1.4.5".

Cache cleared, but problem persists.

Ricardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

The lines in the style.php file around line 169 need to be deleted in the M3.1 version.  

I just uploaded 1.4.6 to try and remedy the situation.  

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi Chris,

After updating the theme to v1.4.4 the missing CSS code appeared again.

Ricardo

by Ricardo Caiado -
It Works!!!

by Chris Kenniburg -

We are very, very busy right now with the back to school technology rush and there are like 4 lines of code in the CSS file that need to be removed for Moodle 3.1.  I seem to be forgetting to remove them!  Sorry.  Thanks for pointing it out though!

by Mary Evans -

I hate that edit option that someone introduced. I do not have that option on, you can switch it off in Site Administration > Appearance > AJAX JavaScript --> there are options to use Edit menus in page content and also blocks.

I have both NO.

If you use the Morecandy theme you will see how I styled the icons when editing is on.

Cheers

Mary

Bottom Featured Courses Limit

by Ricardo Caiado -
The text says the limit is 9 ids. But the default value is 11 ids (???). (see image below)

I can insert 12 ids and it shows as expected (3 x 4). But if I insert 13 ids I got this error message:

------------------------

Debug info: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: "402,402"
[array (
0 => '402,402',
)]
Stack trace:

line 181 of /theme/pioneer/layout/frontpage.php: call to theme_pioneer_core_course_renderer->promoted_courses()
Attachment BFCLimit.jpg

Bottom Featured Courses: missing id

by Ricardo Caiado -
12 ids : "342,280,323,282,349,412,8,330,350,383,393,412"

id #323 is missing, while id #350 is showing twice. (see image below)

Attachment BFCMissing.jpg

Re: Bottom Featured Courses: missing id

by Richard Oelmann -

Ricardo - just to check please. Does the fact that you have moved on to this issue mean that the fix I suggested above https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=332941#p1344300 works?

by Ricardo Caiado -
Richard,

I didn´t had the time to try your fix. I will let you know as soon as I had it done.

Ricardo

by Ricardo Caiado -
Richard,

The "Bottom Featured Courses" limit issue is present in FlexiBase too.

I just checked it out.

Ricardo

-----------------------

Debug info: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: "10,6,9,7,8,2,10"
[array (
0 => '10,6,9,7,8,2,10,',
)]
Stack trace:

line 602 of /theme/flexibase/renderers/course_renderer.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()
line 98 of /theme/flexibase/layout/frontpage.php: call to theme_flexibase_core_course_renderer->promoted_courses()

by Richard Oelmann -
It would be as the code is shared.
I will look at it after I have this other error fixed and for that I need someone with access to a Postgresql to test it with the troubleshooting printouts in and tell me what they give.

I will try eventually to get a postgresql database set up myself to test against, but Ive never needed it until now and am not able to do it on this development laptop right now, so I cant test against that for possibly a couple of weeks myself sad

by Richard Oelmann -

There is something MAJOR wrong that just doesn't make any sense there and I would need to see those outputs to see what it is

The line throwing the error is

But that is getting $val from

and the $rcourseids is set up as an array

$rcourseids = (!empty($featuredids)) ? explode(",", $featuredids, 12) : array();

where $featuredids is a string of comma separated values set  up in one of 3 ways

Setting:

$featuredids = theme_flexibase_get_setting('promotedcourses');

my courses:

foreach ($courses as $fid) {
                $featuredids .= $fid->id.',';

or Tags:

$featuredidsarray = $DB->get_records_sql($sql, array());
            foreach ($featuredidsarray as $fid) {
                $featuredids .= $fid->itemid.',';

So in every case $featuredids should be a comma separated string s=which is then exploded into an array, which is passed in a loop as a single number as $var for the get_record.

It works fine on mine as can be seen in the screenshot with those error trapping arrays being printed to the screen, so I'm at a loss to understand why its not working for you Ricardo.

Error trapping arrays

by Ricardo Caiado -
Please don´t blame me, but now it is working - no more missing id. (see image below)

+13 ids still remains.
Attachment ok.jpg

by Richard Oelmann -

Yay :D

No-one blaming anyone Ricardo :D

Just glad that its now working as I was stumped as to what the problem was :D

I'll push the changes to flexibase tonight now I know everything is working fine

Thanks for the testing

Richard

by Ricardo Caiado -
Chris, Richard

Just to make things clear here.

I have two sites (Prod & Dev):

Prod: running Pioneer Theme
Dev: running FlexiBase Theme

The "putty" screenshot is from the "Dev site" where I changed the code as Richard suggested.

The "missing id" screenshot is from the "Prod site" where I DID NOT change the code.

So the "missing id" issue, on the "Prod site", was solved by itself as I didn´t change the code!!!

I changed the code on the "Dev site" and refreshed the "Prod site"!!! Sorry for that.

Ricardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

And just to be clear... the problem fixed itself or is there something I need to do to Pioneer?  

by Ricardo Caiado -
Chris,

The problem fixed itself. I didn´t changed the Pioneer code.

Ricardo

by Chris Kenniburg -

Excellent!   That is what I like to hear.

Now I can focus on a few new updates and then really dig into the code and try to get it more efficient and cleaned up.

by Mark Whitington -

Hi all,

I am using Moodle 3.0.4 and Pioneer 1.4.

Pioneer looks to have enormous potential!

I seem to be unable to add images to the "top marketing spots".

I am asked for a url unlike the "bottom marketing spots" which allow a file upload.

Am I making a novice error?

Please advise how to add images to the top marketing spots.

Cheers

Mark

In reply to Mark Whitington

by Chris Kenniburg -
You are correct.  You cannot upload an image in the top spots.  It is planned to include images just like the bottom marketing spots.

Thank you for your kind words and interest in Pioneer.  If you have any suggestions let me know.

Breadcrumb: background color for the active page

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the active page should be highlighted in the breadcrumb, right? (see image below)

Ricardo

-------------

Moodle 3.0.4/3.1
Pioneer 1.4.2

PS: I think the default "theme_pioneer | breadcrumbtext" is too light (#ccc). On my configuration I had to change to #000000.
Attachment selected.jpg

Re: Breadcrumb: background color for the active page

by Chris Kenniburg -

In a future release I can take a look and see what can be done about highlighting the last item.  

On my setup I matched the rollover color to the Navigation block.  #f42941

Then I made the breadcrumb text the same as normal text.  However, I think I might switch it up to be white.

by Mike Condardo -

Hi Chris,

Where are the button colors and button text colors controlled for the Marketing Boxes? Have I been looking at this too long? I just can't seem to find it.

Thanks, Mike

by Mike Condardo -

Sorry, forgot to include: Using Moodle 3.0 and Pioneer 1.4.2 -- Thanks, Mike

by Chris Kenniburg -

Hi Mike,

It looks like that color is hard coded in css.  I will make it use the same background color used behind the text of the marketing spots.

Thanks for finding this.  It'll be in the next release. 

Chris

Bootstrap DropDown Menu

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi,

I inserted this piece of code inside a "Section":

------------------------
<div class="btn-group">
  <button class="btn">Action</button>
  <button class="btn dropdown-toggle" data-toggle="dropdown" autocomplete="off">
    <span class="caret"></span>
  </button>
  <ul class="dropdown-menu">
    <li>XXX</li>
    <li>YYY</li>
  </ul>
</div>
------------------------

When I am editing the section it works just fine. But when I save and return to the page it does not work as expected. (see image below)

Any ideas?

#Moodle 3.1
#Pioneer 1.4.3.1

Attachment dropdown.png

Re: Bootstrap DropDown Menu

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you go back to the HTML is part of the code getting stripped out?  What editor are you using?

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Bootstrap DropDown Menu

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi Emma,

This is the code taken from the page source:

-----------------------
<div class="btn-group">
  <button class="btn">Action</button>
  <ul class="dropdown-menu">
    <li>XXX
    </li>
    <li>YYY
    </li>
  </ul>
</div>
------------------------

Something is missing here!!! The second "button" tag is gone.

Any workaround?

Ricardo

by Leslie Foster -

I am using moodle 3.1

My users do not have profile pictures or avatars.  How can I remove the silhouette from the display in the navbar?

Thanks

Les

In reply to Leslie Foster

by Chris Kenniburg -

That is a Moodle default icon for user.  You can hide it by dropping this in the custom css box for Pioneer:

.usermenu .moodle-actionmenu .toggle-display .userbutton .avatars {display: none;}

by Leslie Foster -

Thank you very much...worked a treat.

To make my life complete....is it possible to increase the height of the navbar so that the logo image can be larger than 40 pixels?

Regards

Les

by Chris Kenniburg -

Yes, but I am out until next week.  With some css you should be able to make it larger.

by Leslie Foster -

Is it possible to have the default header image fixed for all pages including courses, but to have the image uploaded in the course summary files used on the front page (i.e. a different image for each course)?

Attachment Pioneer question.JPG

Total Course Grade radial graphic not working

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi,

My "Total Course Grade" radial graphics seems not working as expected. (see image below)

What am I missing here?

Got one graded activity.

Ricardo
Attachment total-grades.png

Re: Total Course Grade radial graphic not working

by Ricardo Caiado -
Got it!!!

My mistake!

One of my graded activities was hidden (this behavior is correct? hidden graded activity => no radial graphic)

Everything works perfect now!!!

"Personalized Recommended Course Slider"

by Ricardo Caiado -
Just a reminder: "theme_pioneer | showrecommendedcourses" is still buggy.

Moodle 3.1
PostgreSQL 9.3

----------------------------------------------------

[array (
0 => '',
)]
Stack trace:

"My Courses Slider"

by Ricardo Caiado -
Just a reminder: "theme_pioneer | showmycourses" is still buggy.

Moodle 3.1
PostgreSQL 9.3

--------------------------------------

[array (
0 => '',
)]
Stack trace:

Re: "My Courses Slider"

by Richard Oelmann -

"xxx is still buggy"

I still can't replicate these issues, any luck Chris?

General plugins (Local): User Tours

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi Chris,

Just found the plugin "User Tours" and I think it is very useful, but...

For the plugin to work 100% this piece of code should be included in the "incourse.php" file:

"echo $OUTPUT->login_info();"

With this code I can reset the tour.

The complete HTML/PHP code should be like this:

-------
<?php require_once(dirname(__FILE__).'/includes/footertext.php'); ?><?php
echo $OUTPUT->login_info();
echo $OUTPUT->standard_footer_html();
?>
-------

The output would be:

-------
Moodle Docs for this page
You are logged in as Ricardo Caiado (Log out)
Reset user tour on this page
Purge all caches
-------

Is it possible to make this change for the next release?

Ricardo

Re: General plugins (Local): User Tours

by Chris Kenniburg -

I am back from vacation.  I can take a look at adding this but I am in the midst of upgrading our servers for the next week or so.  

"Grade" Slider not working

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi,

After upgrade to Pioneer 3.1 I noticed my "Grade" Slider stop working.

Do not know if it is related, but I got this two error messages on "Firebug":

"Error: Mismatched anonymous define() module: function (){return v}
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#mismatch
http://***/lib/javascript.php/1467934436/lib/requirejs/require.min.js
Line 12"

"TypeError: a is not a function
http://***/lib/requirejs.php/1467934436/core/first.js
Line 15"

Ricardo
Attachment Error.png

I love this theme. Where can we post suggestions?

Oh what the heck, here are my suggestions:

1. Make a button like in theme 'adaptable' where you can turn on and off ALL BLOCKS
  2. Make the custom menu's user adaptable based upon profile fields (also seen this with Adaptable theme). This way we can make menu's for students look different.
  3. I'd like a little more influence on the radial progress, but I understand that's not easy. For example: I would like to add more progress circles for different assignments, like the progress bar plugin.
  4. I would like a complete overview page of all radial progress meters of alle courses smile

I know, some of these idea's are far-fetched, but this is my imagination speaking. Perhaps I will build some of these idea's myself, however I'm a very rubbish coder.

by Chris Kenniburg -

Great ideas!  I do like the idea of a bit more control over some custom menus based on profile fields.  

We are in the midst of server updates so that we can get up to Moodle 3.1 and I do not know when the next update will be released.  

I also like the idea of show/hide blocks button.  That is on the list of future improvements.  There is also the possibility of creating a "block dashboard" for courses which is hidden until a button is pressed.  This would make the theme full-width.  

Hi Chris,

We are definitely changing to Pioneer now. I'm still in the setup phase though and noticed some translation issues:

1. I can't find the translation string for 'PEOPLE' in the menu 'This Course'.

2. In the top left, I can't find the translation strings for 'activity completion' and 'total course grade'.

Any hints?

by Ricardo Caiado -
Hi Richard,

(2) ... I think they are hard-coded

Ricardo

by Richard Oelmann -

I seem to remember this coming up a few months ago and I found that the version of the radial displays that I originally gave Chris did have these hard coded. I believe that I changed that in the upstream version, but I'll check when it get chance and send Chris a pull request, but it may not be until next week (of course Chris may correct it himself before then smile

Richard (the other one - Richard, Ricardo and Richard, in the same thread smile

Yes Mr. Oelmann, it's becoming confusing with the fist names smile

BTW: My total course grade is also not working, always shows 0. Still trying to figure that one out.

by Chris Kenniburg -

Hey Richard,

At some point I may have to check out your new implementation.  I am trying to cram in a few last summer vacations, get the kids ready for school, and finish off our summer projects to be ready for teachers to return.

Moodle 3.1 is awesome.  Been using it on brand new servers during summer school.  Over 250 kids all taking tests and completing work and it barely broke a sweat.

by Chris Kenniburg -

There are some language strings that might be hard coded.  In an upcoming release I have looking at correcting this as well as a few new marketing spots that appear inside the main text box.  These are styled to utilize a background image that you can upload as well as set text and other elements.  It is great if you want to direct users to course categories or other elements of your website.  Here is an example of the new marketing spots.  http://moodle.resa.net/resa/

by Gonzalo Muñoz -

Hi Chris, do you put in the new version the possiblility of translate the "Total Grade Course", "Activity Completion" and "People"?

I can't find where to change it!

Thanks a lot for your awesome theme and support!

Salute from Chile

Gonzalo

by Leslie Foster -

I have a problem with course images being resized and the aspect ratio changing.  In the screenshot below (my enrolled courses slider), you can see the images which contain text, have been stretched.  

Is there any way to maintain the aspect ratio of the original image?

Attachment stretched images.JPG

by Chris Kenniburg -

The sliders are designed to be responsive.  In chrome you can right click on the images and select "Inspect Element" and see what CSS is being applied to the images. 

by Leslie Foster -

For anyone else interested, I managed to fix it with custom CSS as follows:

.slick-slide img {

display: block;

margin: auto;

max-height: 100%;

width: auto;

}

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Mark Whitington -

Hi all,

I am having some difficulty with the Header size.

Is there an optimal size?

I have tried 1024 wide (and a few random other sizes) but each time the header displays in a stretched style... this is exacerbated when I try different Padding settings.

I have some text on the image that I would like to position correctly.

(Moodle 3.0 and Pioneer 1.4.3)

Hope you can assist.

Cheers

Mark

by Mark Whitington -

Think I have resolved ... after inspecting the element I changed the CSS as follows...

is this correct or is there a better solution?

.header-image {

background-position: center;

}

by Mark Whitington -

OOPs...

.header-image {

background-position: left;

}

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

You will find that the background position is based on x,y coordinates.

Check this page out for more detail:

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_background-position.asp

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Whitington -

Thanks Mary... that helps.

I also found how to control the image stretching.

Added...

background-size: 100%;

Cheers

Mark

How to clone this theme?

by Leslie Foster -

I am looking to use this theme on one of my site that has a multi-tenant approach.  I did all the usual stuff:

Find and Replace - there were 1,297 instances of "pioneer" in the theme files that were replaced

Change lang filename

This is what I have been doing with a clean theme running on moodle 2.7

However, so far, it does not seem to work with this theme.  What could I be doing wrong?

Re: How to clone this theme?

by Richard Oelmann -

'it does not seem to work' - can you give a bit more information about what doesn't work? or can you turn on debugging and give an error message?

Theme version/Moodle version?

by Leslie Foster -

For example:

In the cloned theme I add a header image and change some colour settings.  These does not display and I get a mixed up screen layout.

Should I have changed all 1,297 instances of the word "pioneer" in the theme files?

Attachment Capture.JPG

by Leslie Foster -

I've done a fresh cloning using the same procedure.  I even downloaded the latest moodle 3.1 version of Pioneer as the starting point.

Find and replace on 1,297 instances of "Pioneer" across all theme files and folders

Change lang filename to match new theme name

Same issue:

• Mixed up screen layout
  • Header image does not display

If anyone has a solution, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

by Richard Oelmann -

It seems the pioneer theme has a style sheet called pioneer.css

Doing the find and replace will have changed the call to that in your config.php, so you will need to rename the file too (the same way as you did for the language file)

Richard

by Leslie Foster -

Richard

Sorry, but I do not understand fully.  I need to rename which file?

Les

by Mary Evans -

Simply said you should NOT have renamed EVERYTHING as some files can ALSO SHARE THE NAME OF A THEME SUCH AS pioneer.css where the reference to that file will be found in pioneer/config.php.

So if you called your theme, for example:

superdoopertrooper

you also need to change

superdoopertrooper/style/pioneer.css

to

superdoopertrooper/style/superdoopertrooper.css

since your new theme name's config.php will already have changed

$THEME->sheet = array('pioneer');

to

$THEME->sheet = array('superdoopertrooper');

by Richard Oelmann -

There are two possible routes to go down when a theme uses its own name in ways that aren't covered by the general instructions. 

You could look at each instance and not change somehow them (in this case don't change the name of the css file called in config . php and don't change the file name) or - my preference, is to go with the general instruction to change *everything* and in this case, changing everything would include changing th name of the pioneer.css file which you can find in pioneer/styles/pioneer.css and change it to my theme name.css

Find and replace tools won't change file names, so you need to check those when cloning a theme (as with the language file). They are powerful and useful, but should also be used with care and look carefully at the theme first to make sure a find and replace isn't going to change unexpected areas (don't think that's a problem with pioneer, but had some issues when I've tried to clone 'bootstrap' in the past smile 

Richard

by Leslie Foster -

I got there in the end thanks to the help from this forum.

For others who are looking how to clone the pioneer theme:

• Find and replace 1,297 items (I used the free Notepad+++ software for that - it takes all of 30 seconds to do)
  • Change name of Lang file
  • Change name of CSS file

Thanks

Les

Remove User Profile View

by Leslie Foster -

I have been struggling to find the css to hide the profile view in the navigation area of the dashboard.  I just want the user to be able to got to dashboard or logout.  they have no need to see their profile.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Les

Attachment profile.JPG

by Leslie Foster -

I'd like to use the "Tools" menu for some links to some demonstrations.  How can I change the tools menu to "Demos"?

by Chris Kenniburg -

I do believe it is in the language file.  That means you can change it under Language Settings in site admin without having to edit any code.

Question about translation terms on my page and frontpage

by Christien Janson -

Hi , 

I have a dutch language pack installed, so most of my interface is now dutch. But I still have the text 'my courses' and 'my enrolled courses' in the moodle/my page. Same for the terms 'Create' New' en 'forgot' on the frontpage. Where can i find and adjust them? 

thank you very much! 

greetings 

Christien

In reply to Christien Janson

Re: Question about translation terms on my page and frontpage

by Mary Evans -

Hi Christien,

Every theme that is available from the Moodle plugins Database can be translated to your own language using the AMOS translation tool-kit CLICK HERE to contribute.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

I think the Pioneer-theme has some hardcoded English words in it though.

by Mary Evans -

Hi

If this is true can you list them? That way there can be coded correctly.

Thanks

Mary