login to Moodle via GAFE?

login to Moodle via GAFE?

by J P -
Number of replies: 5

Hi everyone!

I've been running my own Moodle site for ~8 years now and love the functionality that I have. My district is going Google and will be pushing us to use GAFE. We're only going to be allowed to use a third-party site if students can log into it using their GAFE account. GAFE either allows or disallows login to third-party sites based on the parameters that GAFE has for the safety of students. I'm worried that I'm going to lose Moodle and be forced into Google Classroom, which does NOT have the same level of functionality and control that Moodle has. Help! Thanks smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to J P

Re: login to Moodle via GAFE?

by Just H -

Exactly what has Google decided are the "...parameters that GAFE has for the safety of students." and why is it up to Google?

Until you figure out the specifics might be worth having a look around for authentication plugins e.g. https://moodle.org/plugins/auth_googleoauth2.

In reply to J P

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

+1 to Just H's response.

Have several setup and can provide URL's to you via PM if you want a look see - a 2.8, 2.9, and a 3.x providing and encouraging use of Google to authenticate.   It does change perspectives in how one does things in Moodle.   Some of it better ... some of it not so good.   Student will have EMail addresses that are part of the GAFE for the entity so restrict EMail addresses to those domains + the domain used by teachers.

One thing to know ... while students might be using their Google credentials to login to your site, the plugin isn't 'single sign on' and it does have some behaviors that you'd need to investigate IF students were given shared Chromebooks.

Best if your Moodle running https cause Google really doesn't like to talk to http boxen ... just like Moodle when it comes to using the built in install/updates to addons/plugins.

Tend to agree with you in your comparison of Google For Education (Google Classroom) ... which is like Google docs/sheets on macro steriods.   They are adding new features all the time and think they too will eventually reach the same issues Moodle has when it comes to core vs plugins, etc.. - 'feature creep' which adds to complexity.

I do hope, Moodle HQ and the Association as thinking about greater/better integration right out of the shrink wrap cause if non are looking over shoulder, even Microsoft with o365/etc. and their online suite has a 'classroom' addition now.

Anyway, your Moodle is NOT done yet ... but you will have to start now in installing and testing the authentication addon suggested.   You will be questioned by your peers and admin ... more than likely, and it takes some courage to stand alone.

TIPS: provide a 'Google LOGOUT' button/link in custom menus of your Moodle.  Logging out of Moodle doesn't inform Google user has logged out.  Important on shared machines/devices as Moodle's session timeouts are quite long (and shouldn't be reduced, IMHO).

And use the custom drop down menus for things related to Google but point them to your GAFE domain.

Don't think they will mind ... see http://moodle.wisd.net/moodle2/

check out the drop down menus ... site, BTW, is restricted to valid wisd.net domains.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Just thought of one more thing ... you might be *required* by the powers that be to have a Google Classroom.    Fine, do.   Have discovered IF the Moodle is authenticating via GAFE/Google, one can put URL links to things in the GC 'stream' as it's called in GC and student can go directly there from Moodle via URL.

Other things of which to be aware ... when starting a Google Classroom, there will be a special folder in your Drive.  Might not want to touch that with links from Moodle ... ie, set up sharing of a doc to 'anyone in domain' for example and linking in Moodle.

Keep your Moodle docs in a 'Moodle Classroom' directory and use a naming convention ... like an annual ... "moodle classroom 2016'.   No one should see your Google Drive but you, of course.   Links to files/directories etc. won't show 'directory names'.

Just remember, your class will be different than all the others .... which gives admins something to 'complain about'.   That could also be true of your students, too. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by J P -

Thank you so much for your willingness to share and the wealth of information. I am a bit overwhelmed with the thought of integrating them together, and I'm not completely confident that I even have the skills to do so. I'm a classroom teacher! I just feel like I'll be going backwards leaving Moodle for Google Classroom. Google Classroom really isn't a LMS, but that's the direction the district is moving in and I need to "play nice" even though it's a step backwards. Ugh, lots of thinking and testing to do this summer!!