Automatically Add a list of students to a Database

Automatically Add a list of students to a Database

by Troy Patterson -
Number of replies: 1

I have a need to automatically add the students in a course to a database activity. This would allow students to provide feedback to other students without misspellings. 

What I have in mind is a field that would automatically pull the list of students and provide these in the database. 

I'm guessing that this could be done with JavaScript, but lack the expertise. 

So, is it possible to create a database activity where one of the fields is a list of students that has been automatically pulled from the class list? 

If so, can the email address also be pulled?

I'm thinking of a teacher being able to provide specific feedback on a presentation. That feedback would then be emailed to the students (and hopefully, go into the gradebook). 

I know that it is a lot to ask. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Troy Patterson

Re: Automatically Add a list of students to a Database

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Troy, 

>automatically add the students in a course to a database activity.

Student name can be added via the user tag, ##user##. Click on the name will bring up user's profile (with student email).

> a field that would automatically pull the list of students 

I don't think it is possible. As you said, JS might be able to do it, I don't know how. Wish someone can contribute an idea here.

> a teacher being able to provide specific feedback on a presentation. That feedback would then be emailed to the students (and hopefully, go into the gradebook). 

Better use Assignment activity. After a teacher uploads a feedback file, student will get notification and the grade will go to Gradebook.

In database, teacher can use ##Comment## to give student feedback.

Teacher can also give "Rate" to each entry and the Rate can be listed in Grade book.

Students can use Event monitor to get email notifications.