Logout for Multiple Users Sharing Same Device

Logout for Multiple Users Sharing Same Device

by Jeremy Hatfield -
Number of replies: 4

Has anyone customized the app to use a Logout feature instead of the Change Site feature?

We have a client that wants to allow multiple employees to share devices (iPads). Two issues come up with the default app: security and SCORM packages.

[Security] User 1 and User 2 can both have accounts in the app, but either user can access the other user's account without having to put in a password. 

[SCORM] One work around to the Security issue is to have User 1 delete their account from the app before passing it on to User 2. However, this deletes any SCORM packages that were downloaded for User 1. When User 2 passes back to User 1, she has to download all SCORM packages again.

It would be great if a User could log out without losing anything.

Has anyone implemented something like this?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeremy Hatfield

Re: Logout for Multiple Users Sharing Same Device

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Me thinks this is more on the iPad side than in Moodle ... accessed with a browser or from the Moodle App.

But ... here's some info to read:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3021868/apple-ios/shared-ipad-in-apples-ios-9-3-update-is-a-big-deal.html

clip from resource above:

A big step, not yet taken

Should Apple move forward with Shared iPad as a cornerstone feature of iOS, it will likely do so with iOS 10. Introducing the feature specifically for education at this stage represents a good testing ground for Apple and a way to reassure education customers that the company understands their needs.

One of the items ... multiple user iPads.

So it might be a combo of iPad version, feature turned on, the Moodle Mobile App, AND the admin side of the Moodle.

Years ago, there was a product for PC ... Windows only ... a 'buddy card' I think that's what they called it.   One physical pc but 2 users with their own keyboard/monitor/mouse.   Problem ... they shared the same browser ... cookies, history, etc..    So Student User A logged onto Moodle.   Student User B (on the buddy) logged onto Moodle to find they were logged on as Student User A.

Chrome and FireFox ... don't think you can get either on an IPad ... when you create Multiple users in Google for example, both of those browsers will launch with a 'multiple user screen' asking who do you want to be.

Does Safari behave that way?

So ... they might have to upgrade their iPad OS when Apple finally provides multiple users on a shared iPad feature.

OR, in the interum, could possibly use Safari.

How is the Moodle setup for authentication?   Another area to explore!

Is the first iPad user actually logging out?

Sorry ... 2 cent response really. :\

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Stuart Mealor -
I tend to agree with Ken here.

Mobile phones, and tablets, are essentially created and designed as 'personal' (individual) devices.

Whilst we might pass our phone to our kids to play a game to keep them quite for 5 minutes(!), certainly the Apple iPhones and iPads are engineered to be used by one user, with one Apple ID, etc. They are simply not designed as multiple user devices.

I think it's probably the same for most other mobile devices too.

However, you can use a mobile browser on your device (e.g. Safari, Opera, Chrome or Firefox) on the iPad, and then just login to the Moodle site, using the 'normal' different usernames and passwords to access the content.

I think It makes sense that two different users have to download the content, because it would be their personal content, not a file that is just placed on the device, and accessible by others.

I totally 'get' where you are coming from, and it would likely be useful in schools for sure, but I think you are fighting against the actual design and operation of personal mobile devices sad

Maybe someone else who has encountered similar in school situations has clever ideas ?

Stu smile

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

this is the type of features that the remote addons support for Moodle 3.1 will try to cover.

Basically, for Moodle 3.1 will allow to install Moodle plugins in your Moodle site that will add new features in the Mobile app, for example, you would install a local_mobilelogout plugin that would add that option in the Mobile app.

This is something that we plan to support for the next app release (we are not sure if we will be on time though) but in any case it would require you to develop that plugin (maybe your client want to fund it).

Regards, Juan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Jeremy Hatfield -

@Jaun: Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing the remote add-on support and will do some research into developing such add-ons (like local_mobilelogout as you suggest.)

@Ken and Stuart: Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, using the browser to access the modules is not an option. We need the offline player capability for SCORM packages that the mobile app provides nicely provides. Users must be able to take the training without internet access (after initially downloading, of course.)

Kudos to Juan, Daniel and the res of the Moodle mobile team for making the SCORM offline capabilities work. This has been HUGE for our current clients and the word is spreading to other potential clients almost on a daily basis. Love it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)