Yearly Quiz

Yearly Quiz

by Jennifer Clay -
Number of replies: 6

I have a quiz set up that has to be taken yearly.

I need students to be able to retake this text every 11 months. 

Any ideas on how to do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jennifer Clay

Re: Yearly Quiz

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

This is certainly an odd request, but in these days of looking for alternate ways of measuring progress, not the last I suspect. AFAIK, it is not likely to be accomplished automagically, so you are going to have to do it manually. Define the testing period and set scheduling reminders for yourself in the Calendar. You have created the quiz, and I don't think it matters if the course is repeated or is a stand alone, single activity course.  You can hide the link from the course page to the quiz, Students won't see it until you unhide it, and open it. After completion, hide it again, until it is needed again. The same if it is a single activity course, just keep the duration of the course to those dates when it should be available to Students. 

If you have access to the cron, or a schedule task, depending on your server, then you may be able to set up a cron job to activate and deactivate the course.   

In either case, unless you have the same group of students, you will have to enroll each student, manually or by uploading users.  Even if the users are already in the Moodle, you can use the same technique to enroll them into a specific course. You may need to test though, if you enroll students early, they may be able to access the course ahead of a time you may want them to, if it is a single activity course.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Just H -

Not an odd request at all; in the corporate world compliance training with set periods for reaccreditation is rife.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Jennifer Clay -
I currently have a hospital using moodle for their yearly re-orientation compliance.

Each month will have X amount of employees that take the quiz. The next year those same employees will have to take the same quiz again. I need an automated way to reset the grades for this quiz for the X students who need to take it year 2.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Not sure Jennifer (my experience is school then HE based rather than workplace compliance training, so this may not be appropriate) but...

Is it feasible to create a course for 2016 and add those staff in groups with a group for each month, make the test available by groups and groupings.

Then to duplicate the course, with the same groups and enrolments for 2017, then 2018, clearing out any quiz records that may be retained in the duplication (haven't tested to see if it is or if it comes across clean anyway).

The 2016 version would continue to keep all the records of everyone who sat the compliance in Jan16, Feb16....Dec16, with the new 2017 copy of the course keeping the records for jan17, Feb17, etc

You could always hide the 2016 course in January 2017, only giving access to 'teachers', ie the managers responsible for the compliance testing, to avoid any confusion for staff.

I think this should be fairly easy to manage - simply backing up the 2016 course sometime in December, restoring it as course2017, ensuring staff enrolments are correct and that the course is reset to remove any forums/quiz results etc that may have been imported, and hide the 2016 version.

Does that seem workable, or can anyone suggest a better way to achieve this? I may not be in that sector, but would be keen to follow ideas for our own staff development at the university smile

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Just H -

"...I may not be in that sector, but would be keen to follow ideas for our own staff development at the university"

Richard, happy to get our workaround to you if you want, at worst it could probably give you a good laugh ... we in no way pretend to be developers so the code may not be the most elegant or best way of doing things but it works for us.

H

by Just H -

Hi Jennifer, how fast do you need a resolution, what version of Moodle and what level of support/knowledge do you have?

We have a homegrown hacked solution we use here (quick description):

1. Person does quiz (set amount of attempts, 100% pass mark)
  2. When passed locked out of reattempting
  3. At a given time (in our case 2 years 9 months) attempts from the main quiz are automatically moved into an "Archive" quiz
  4. Person can redo main quiz

So basically we have just the one course which cuts down on admin time and we also retain all of the persons attempts over the years. There's also options to send emails on a pass and fail to different people (if someone fails we have an assessor get in touch with them) but we haven't gone as far as setting up emails to individuals reminding them they need to retake (this is for external agencies and given the timeframes involved who knows if the people still work at those agencies).

We're running Moodle 2.8+ on our live site at the moment but would have to look at the code again as it's been running so long (started in 1.7 I think?) I'm not sure how much we would have to tidy it up for others to use. Unfortunately my colleague who's more into the coding side of things than I is away until later this month.

H