Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Install help

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Install help

by Rivv Smith -
Number of replies: 5

HI all,

I have been working with a test moodle site for the last few months, and have been given the go ahead to use it as our primary system.

This was installed on Ubuntu 14.04LTS using PHP 5 etc.

I am now building our prod server and have noticed that Ubuntu16.04 LTS with PHP 7 is now available and given the extended support time and interested in using it.

The only problem is, the usual steps to setup the server etc for moodle are all PHP 5 installs for example (from intall guide):

sudo apt-get install apache2 mysql-client mysql-server php5 libapache2-mod-php5

sudo apt-get install graphviz aspell php5-pspell php5-curl php5-gd php5-intl php5-mysql php5-xmlrpc php5-ldap clamav

Do i just replace the php5x with php7x? Or is there an easier way?

I'd like to use the latest stable versions of both Ubuntu and Moodle (test first of course), but maybe I should just stick with what I know Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for now.

Any advice on using\installing on 16.04LTS

Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rivv Smith

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Install help

by Albert Ramsbottom -
In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think those are instructions for installing PHP7 in an earlier release of Ubuntu (where PHP5 was included) and used a third-party PPA. As far as I can tell, 16.04 includes PHP7 by default (and does not include PHP5 any more). 

The package list is here...  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/php7.0, so it seems to be php7.0-xxx although I expect tat php-xxx (no version number) would default too. 

I'm unsure what happens if you upgrade an earlier release to 16.04. I don't know if PHP is automagically upgraded. Has anybody tried it yet?

Adding to my "to do" list smile

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Upgrading our 14.04 LTS servers to 16.04 LTS is one of our Summer jobs! We do have a testing server for Moodle, but I have not had the time mid-term to even begin to look at this.

I think you are right about PHP being the only PHP in 16.04: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=php&searchon=names&suite=xenial&section=all so I really hope we get an automatic upgrade path!

In reply to Jon Witts

by Rivv Smith -

Hi All,

Sorry for late update but I have successfully gotten moodle 3.xx running on ubuntu 16.04LTS.

There are a few tricky parts to it but it isn't too bad, I'm going to reply here soon with the steps I took to deploy it.

I have had no issues at all so far with the installation and will be moving it to production shortly.

PHP7 does indeed seem to make a difference speed wise though, I can definitely recommend this upgrade.

Cheers

Rivv

In reply to Rivv Smith

by Bob Thomas -

I just go Moodle 3.1 running under Ubuntu 16.04 using a slight variation of the step-by-step instructions for 14.04

Here is a mapping of the pacakge changes:

php5 --> php7.0
libapache2-mod-php5 --> libapache2-mod-php7.0

php5-pspell --> php7.0-pspell
php5-curl --> php7.0-curl
php5-gd --> php7.0-gd
php5-intl --> php7.0-intl
php5-mysql --> php7.0-mysql
php5-xmlrpc --> php7.0-xmlrpc
php5-ldap --> php7.0-ldap

You will also need:

php7.0-xml (a fatal error during Moodle setup occurs unless this has been installed)
php7.0-zip

If you need to change php parameters, file /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini has moved to /etc/php/7.0/apache2/php.ini

Best Regards,

Bob Thomas

Average of ratings: Useful (4)