Static Pages Not Functioning As They Used To

Static Pages Not Functioning As They Used To

by Steve Thompson -
Number of replies: 7

I'm using Moodle 3.0+ (Build: 20151126) with the Essential theme. I have  a bunch of static pages but since the recent Essential Theme upgrade the pages appear to have become corrupted. I'm steadily going through the pages tidying them up. However where I have embedded YouTube videos these no longer seem to work. Any ideas - here is one of the pages that should show some small video thumbnails   

[Edit to Add] Another page that is not working is my Contact Page - this is using am embedded Google form. The form and embedded videos both use the <iframe> </iframe> tags - this must be the problem. These worked before the Essential theme upgrade.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Thompson

Re: Static Pages Not Functioning As They Used To

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Gareth will not reply to this without the Essential version as it helps with the diagnostics for this particular problem, so please can you tell us what version you are using.

Or alternatively go to https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential.git

and create a new issue to report this as a bug.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Thompson -

i'M using this version Release 3.0.1.1 (Build: 2016010206)

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thank you...and what version were you using before you upgraded?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Steve,

Ok, a few things:

1. I will respond to issues without the Essential version but in that response I will ask for a version.
  2. You appear to be using the 'Static page' contributed plugin (https://moodle.org/plugins/local_staticpage) and whilst every effort is put into Essential, it is impossible to test every single combination of contributed plugin.  As this list is potentially long and to be fair to me I'm not willing to spend more than the smallest amounts of time with conflicts with other contributed plugins (unless they are mine) unless paid to do so.
  3. Looking at the mark-up on: http://www.stmedialearn.com/local/staticpage/view.php?page=contact - nothing seems to be wrong from a theme point of view as only the heading is in the mark-up, no other text has been removed by CSS in the theme.  This indicates an issue with the 'static pages' plugin or changes in the core filter settings and not Essential.

Kind regards,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Steve,

Additionally you are using version 3.0.1 and not 3.0.1.1 (http://www.stmedialearn.com/theme/essential/CHANGES.txt) as you reported.  Version 3.0.1.1 has these changes:

- FIX: Issue #351: Footer doesn't stay at bottom.
- FIX: Issue #627: Request for an unknown renderer.
- FIX: Issue #628: Course content search dialog does not show up properly on RTL mode.
- FIX: Issue #629: Hidden resources have low contrast.
- FIX: Issue #633: Increase performance of administration settings pages.  Thanks to 'Jan Dagefoerde' for the initial patch.
- FIX: Issue #634: Improve icon replacement performance.
- FIX: Issue #635: Course table of contents block navigation when static navbar.
- FIX: Issue #640: Edit profile style not set properly.
- FIX: Issue #641: Floating rows in the gradebook position after page scroll are wrong.
- FIX: Issue #642: Advanced Grading creating template form issue.
- FIX: Issue #643: Grading edit dropdown too small.
- FIX: Style guide settings tooltips and popups.
- FIX: MDL-52936 - Fix link hover bug on iOS.
- FIX: Apply 'aria-hidden="true"' to FontAwesome icons as much as possible.  Still a few 'content' CSS attributes to consider.
- FIX: Add 'speak: none' to FontAwesome icons for accessibility.
- FIX: Footer doesn't stay at bottom code fix when no footer.
- FIX: Alternative colour border colours.
- FIX: Narrow page width and page header.
- FIX: Tidy the header.
- FIX: Admin submit button hover on alternative colour schemes.
- FIX: Dimmed icon colours.
- FIX: Hidden course summary box colours to be dimmed.
- NEW: Issue #632: View StyleGuide without logging on.
- NEW: Issue #645: Add setting to toggle display of hidden courses in Custom Menu.  Thanks to Mathieu Pelletier for this code.
- NEW: Improve efficiency of colour switcher.
- NEW: Add logo width setting.
- NEW: Hide title area when showing social icons when collapsed.
- NEW: Bigger user picture when using the old navbar position and at the top.
- NEW: Refactor ColoursSwitcher into jQuery and optimise.

Which may or may not affect the outcome of the problem.  I will only consider investigating issues on the current release (as published on Moodle.org) for a given Moodle version.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Steve Thompson -

OK - I'll update essential and also raise a question with the static pages plugin. Meanwhile I'll see if I can get by without using <iframe> in a static page

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Steve,

Did a quick test with Clean and Essential on Moodle 3.0.3+ (Build: 20160415) with the adapted source from (http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_iframe):

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>
<h1>iframe</h1>
<iframe src="http://www.w3schools.com">
  <p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
</iframe>
</body>
</html>

And it gives:

iframe
Your browser does not support iframes.

Looking at the outputted mark-up the 'iframe' tag has been stripped out.  Therefore its a configuration / filter / static pages plugin issue and not a theme issue.

Cheers,

Gareth